Clutch or transmission - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch or transmission

I was riding on a ongoing drive and the bike died I got it back on the road and it was knocking and would bearly move then died. I pull it home behind a truck and it would turn over. It will start and idle Nd for through the gears but as soon as I try to move it dies. Still clacking and knocking while it runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:02 PM
KCW

Garage
if it knocking and clacking it sounds like you threw a bearing on a connecting rod.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM
KCW

Garage
Been thinking how you could tell if you threw a rod bearing.

For one thing check your oil level. A bike wont normally throw a bearing unless it runs out of oil and sucks air while running.
If there is no oil in the bike that is a bad sign.

the other thing you can try, pull the side cover off the left side of the bike, and rotate the crank shaft gently with a wrench (like you would when you are setting the valve clearance). If you feel it clacking one way then the other, that is connecting rod bearing slap.

Do NOT rotate the crank more that a 1/4 turn CCW, because the cam shaft chain tensioner will go slack. The engines on a Vstar spin the opposite direction of the front wheel: clock wise from the left side of the bike (gear shift side).

If it sounded like someone was hitting the engine with a hammer when it was running, this is all moot. You might be able to google what a MC engine with a bad rod bearing sounds like on youtube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I appreciate all help. I will be taking the cover off later today or tomorrow and I'll keep y'all up to date

Don't talk to cops
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM

when i tried to start my bike one time the carb came half way out of the manifold. and was running on only one cylinder and it would make a loud knock every revolution. i happened to be at the dealership at the time getting inspected. the mechanic said thats the sound they make when running on one cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode