What is it worth - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

What is it worth

Been looking at a 2008 roadstar. Bike has been sitting in a garage for several years and has lees than 500 miles on it. Will crank and run but clutch plates seem to be stuck and have been for over a year. Bike is base model and stock. Looking at buying the bike. What is it worth and what else should I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 AM
KCW

Garage
Its normal for oil bath clutches to hydrolock when sitting for a while. On my bike they stick just from sitting overnight.

There are couple different ways to pop them loose. One is to start the bike in neutral, let it warm up a bit so the idle drops, pull the clutch in and hold both brakes tight and kick it into first or second gear. It might take a couple bumps (the bike will stall if the clutch does not come free).

another is to put the bike in 2nd gear, pull the clutch in and rock the bike forwards and back. Much more gentle on the transmission this way.

the way NOT to do it: DONT rev the engine and then shift into gear.

With 500 miles look for rust in the tank, and you will probably want to change the tires, but other than that its a great find.

There are a couple blue-book websites for MC prices.

Last edited by KCW; 05-30-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Was wrong about the mileage. Only had 174 miles on it. Cranked it and while rolling down hill shifted into gear. After about 3 miles the clutch broke free. Had a bad skip. Think a valve may be sticking. Tank was full of gas and had been kept in garage. Other than skip it seemed to be in good shape. Offered 3000.00 as is. He wanted to try to fix it and sell it for more. Asked if I would help him fix it then come and get it on a regular bases and ride it. I told him I thought I could manage that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 AM
KCW

Garage
What do you mean by a skip? the clutch? all the time or just when you are letting it slip? If its just the clutch you might need to let it slip a bit to clean off the spot where it was stuck.

If the bike sat parked for years there could be flat spots on the tires.

Is it running rough? How long did the tank sit full of gas? If more than 3 months it wont run right - drain the tank and put some Seafoam in with the fresh gas (about 4 oz). Also change the oil and put a two ounces in there too.

That bike was $14,000 when it was new, so yeah the owner is going to have serious sticker shock to sell it for $3k.

Last edited by KCW; 05-31-2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:47 AM

Bikes are not like cars. They do not increase in value because of low mileage. The seals can dry up along with tire rot, plus one on draining the tank and oil change. Have someone with a trained eye look at it to give you a realistic idea of how much needs to be fixed.

I bought a ten year old bike with 500 miles on it that needed $800 of maintenance to get it road worthy and road it trouble free for three years and 12,000 miles.

Check out NADA.com on prices. Good luck it seems like a good find, only you can tell.

Oh and everyone thinks their bike is worth full book or more so you may have to be patient and let him see how many people answer his CL ad.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 12:36 PM
KCW

Garage
In this case a MC with 174 miles on the odo is worth the highest listed price on NADA. It is like new, unless the owner pulled it out of the Erie Canal.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 PM
KCW

Garage
I did a little poking around on the internet.

I look at craigslist to see what people are asking for a bike like mine from time to time, to keep an idea of what it would cost to replace mine. A decent low mileage VS650 tends to run around $3k to $3.5k with a couple years on it. Thats about half the price of a new one from the dealer.

The Roadstar is a 1600cc bike, it is no longer sold by Yamaha, but they ran $12k to $14k when they were new.

I dont know the whole story on the bike, but I would expect to have to pay $6 to $7k for one that is in like new condition with that kind of mileage on the odo. Hell you can find new cars on dealer lots that have that many miles just from test drives, or because the dealer had someone go pick it up two cities away.

Sounds like you will need to at least replace the 9 year old tires, put you back maybe $500 to $600 if you get it done at a dealer, but unless you can find something really wrong with the bike, it looks like a real find.

Last edited by KCW; 05-31-2017 at 08:11 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

The skip is in the engine. Seems like a valve may be stuck and appears to have raw gas leaking from a piston? NADA says average retail is 4200 and low retail is 3200. KBB says trade in is 3600 and average retail about 4800 I think. Found about 5 on cycle trade of same year with less that 10000 miles with pipes seat etc for 4800-5500. Thought 3000 was fair not knowing what might need to be done. He is a good friend and said that he thought is was worth more with low mileage. Told it didn't really add to value and he said it did to him. I said ok then I will help you fix it. Actually he does not need the money and has several more low mileage bikes. He likes having them but never rides them.
I already have a vtx but have always liked the road star and yamaha bikes in general. Who knows he may change his mind.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 AM
KCW

Garage
Not sure how gas could be leaking from the piston / cylinder. I sounds like maybe the carb float is stuck and the gas is flooding through the carb overflow?

I was looking here in upstate NY on craigslist last night, and was surprised to find a 2008 roadstar with 148 miles. Asking $6,000. Found several more with 2k to 8k miles on them. Apparently a lot of people bought these bikes and never roed them. I can understand that if its a second bike. Its a really great machine to get on the interstate and go touring, but I could not see myself commuting to work everyday at 45mph on mostly residential and secondary roads.

"He is a good friend...." I feel obliged to tell you something here that will sound negative, but its one of those things that dont make sense till you learn from experience. Its a bad situation to buy or sell anything of serious value to/from a friend or family member, including loaning or borrowing money. With a big transaction there is always the risk that one of the people will end up not happy, and as a result you can lose your friend or end up never seeing that family person again. Things can work out fine and nothing bad happens, but if something goes sour its just not worth the risk. There are plenty of motorcycles and cars and houses and bankers out there. Just my opinion and experience.

I will give a vehicle or money to someone free and clear, and friends have given me cars and stuff. That is ok because there are no expectations attached.

Another way of putting it, if you sell something or lend money to a friend, you are literally putting a price on your relationship.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Bike is fuel injected so maybe an injector is stopped up? Also I understand about the friend thing. I understand bike would be as is and I also have access to it to ride whenever I want so I would have a pretty good idea what I was getting but thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode