950(t) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

950(t)

I received a 950 that I'm working hard on adjusting to my liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:44 PM

Garage
Hope you don't have to work too hard before you get to ride it hard! Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

No, it's a 2012, completely stock, with the touring package added to it.

I just had to change out the tires to make it ridable.

Changing out the spark plugs made it feel better, not that it was anywhere close to needing it.
Now I'm onto more exciting things. Ultimate seat ordered, progressive shocks and springs ordered. Complete led light replacements ordered.
Next on my list of things to do is the ecu reflash, intake change, and am looking at the pulley swap.

Coming from a sports bike background, with my 1100 ninja. But wanted a bike now that comfortable to drive. I have put almost 2k on the bike so far in the last month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:47 PM

Garage
Wow. Awesome. Sounds like you will be really souping it up! Let us know how you like all your additions. I hope to be adding/upgrading to my 950 as things wear. (I'm pretty happy with stock, but know it can be even better.)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I was ok with stock, till I took a 6hour trip, and couldn't handle past 90minutes on the seat. The stiff sportsbike did better. It took a week to recover.
The lights are mostly to lower power usage, so it can be used elsewhere.

Most of the performance mods I wouldn't even bother with, till I learned I have hit an upper limit of 95mph. When I was used to cruising at 120mph, and routinely hitting 160mph. I have also noticed a lot of the issues with the ecu, so would like to get it straightened out. None of this is a huge issue, and I will slowly go down this road, as it's more costly, and doesn't give any legal benefits.

The progressive shocks I think are just needed. Laying the bike over constantly, grinding the floorboards and the frame, consistently. I have no issues with grinding the pegs, did that all the time on previous bikes, but the frame is a different matter.

Taken a lot of time over the last two months reading a few hundred postings on this forum and a few other places. So that is basically my list of things I feel I would like.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM
KCW

Garage
gotta wonder, if you like riding a sportsbike at 120 to 160 mph, then why did you buy a cruiser bike?

Ive never seen a race with cruiser bikes going 160mph, ever.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, I can't believe I can only own one bike. When on the sportbike, I had cruisers attempt to run be off the highway, till I got >150mph, and they could no longer keep up.
It seems to be a personal issue here with HD riders not liking sports bikes passing them, even when passing without speeding. When a few of them break from the pack and start racing up behind me, there is no way I am going stick around for whatever comes next.

The only real issues I have is with the speed limit at 75mph, and normal speed of traffic is 90mph, and the bike is hitting a max of 95mph. I would like to keep pace on the highway easier, without the engine at max rpm.

As a said above, the body placement on a sport bike is not the most comfortable riding position, especially for longer trips.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
KCW

Garage
patrick, not trying to give you any grief.

If people are riding HDs over 140mph I dont know what thats all about.
Going that fast on a cruiser bike to me would be like going 180mph in a Porsche 911 convertible, and then standing up on the seat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes, currently my limit I am finding to be about 90mph, after that the wind shakes my helmet too much on this bike.

It is likely just going be getting used to a different style of riding. Been leaning this bike like crazy, and am attempting to break that somewhat. It may turn out I won't need that speed, but I do feel I would like the acceleration to have extra rpm's available to use.

I've been splitting my riding between highways and backroads, but the highway is much nicer for going to work.

I have no idea what was up with the HDs, the others stopped at 120, but one kept pace up to 150 with me, and finally gave up.
Between that and the groups of sport bikes that are just stupid popping wheelies and stuff, I wanted no part of them, and stuck to driving solo. It was my only transportation for 10years, as I needed nothing else, snow rain ice, I drove the bike in it all. The only times it went down, was driving on wet grass.

Yes, cruisers are new to me, I never pictured myself as riding one. I do enjoy it.
I feel I finally got confortable with the 950, as I have begune to feel it is small, and I can whip it around. It doesn't feel heavy to me anymore. Thought about maybe I should have got a 1300, but the more I look at them, I like the 950 better. The 1300 has so many other parts and water cooling that I don't want to deal with at this moment atleast.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM
KCW

Garage
when you get the chance, if its not too hard to do, take the windshield off the bike and ride some twisty backroads with no centerline, where you cant get up much over 60 because you cant see past the next patch of pine trees or over the next rise in the road.

Motorcycle is very different experience with no windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode