New Rider on the block. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Jkingman
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By Jkingman
  • 2 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

New Rider on the block.

Hey guys my name is Josh,
Just picked up myself a little project bike. its a 99 V Star 650 classic. It has 23,000 on it and runs like a top. Drove it 40 miles home. It has some minor damage on it like the vacuum of the tank causing it to cave in. Some scratches and scrapes too but I picked it up at a good price.

This is my second motorcycle. My first was an 1981 maxim xj650 in full dress. However it sadly made its way to the big road in the sky (cracked block beyond my skill or willingness to put money into it to fix.)

Hoping to get to know all you guys as I'm running down the list of things to fix. the first being why this tank doesn't vent! hahaha
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
Hi Josh, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Have any pics of your ride you'd like to share with us? Be sure to post your questions in the Vstar section. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrokeAss and BrokeAss like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 AM
KCW

Garage
you are going to have to explain this vacuum crushed gas tank - that is news to me!

does it have the original gas cap?

Ive been told this can happen on newer Ford Fusion cars. They have a 16 gallon gas tank, and if the vent collapses the fuel pump will suck the plastic tank down to a capacity of about 3 gallons, and it will stay that way. You go to fill up your car, and it will only take 3 gallons.

Last edited by KCW; 07-18-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage
Welcome Josh. You got yourself a nice bike there. Never heard of a fuel tank doing that either but I'm sure someone here can help you out if you have any questions.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I never heard of a motorcycle doing that either. But it wasn't pushed in by hand lol. Anyways it was either stupidness or bravery but I put the air compressor to the EMPTY tank and gave a few blasts. The dent the size of a dinner dish is now down to a few small ones. And small enough to where I do not cringe looking at it.

Here is the bike. Mind the guns in the background......mix of my other hobby airsoft and paintball.....I'm not sons of anarchy

I also will include my old bike if anyone was wondering....it was a full rebuild before the motor blew up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1500416873882-1934532065_1500416926789.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	72353   Click image for larger version

Name:	17916840_662768723913471_726377414_o.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	72361  

Last edited by Jkingman; 07-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Nice bike. Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 08:46 PM
KCW

Garage
so..... you are not going to ride it till you fix the plugged air vent.... right?

if you cant figure it out start a thread in the Vstar section of the forum with a subject line something like "Plugged tank vent crushed gas tank..."

a lot of members dont read the new member intro threads, so the people that know what caused this might not see these post in this one.

You are not quite that crazy for using compressed air to push it back out, except for one thing: If you are going to pressure test or straighten out a tank again, fill it to the top with water, then use compress air to pressurize the water. Then if a seam pops or the tank ruptures, it will only go "thunk" and crack open a bit, because there is not a lot of compressed air in it.

If you only use compressed air without the water, then it could go KABOOOOOM !!!! and blow shards of metal all over the place.

Then of course you need to use alcohol to get the remaining water out of the tank after you drain it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode