R1 to V-Star 1100 - Wise Choice? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

R1 to V-Star 1100 - Wise Choice?

Hey all

My name is Cory and I am from Atlanta, GA. The reason for my post here is to first introduce myself, and then also inquire about how wise it would be to move from an R1 to a v-star.
As many sportbike riders who switch over, I would like to turn the v-star into a bobber.

Reasons to Sell the R1 for to get the V-Star
-sell and get $$, buy a cheaper/older v-starto turn into a bobber and pocket the spare couple grand. and man oh man, I really want another bobber to cruise around on in the coming nice weather this season. I had a vulcan 800 but it was terribly slow on the highway
-bike is getting older which (currently 19k miles) = more problems will develop which = more $$ for maintenance
-I would like to work on the V-star with my own two hands and I think working on a twin engine is easier than some advanced 4cyl sportbike.
-I would like to do the: bobber conversion, get 2 into 1 pipes, cams, intake kit, carbs, high compression pistons, old school tires, the whole nine. My inspiration is below

Reasons I'm Having Doubts
-I will miss the speed!
-I will miss the speed!
-I will miss the speed! (the speed limits here in GA are typically 55-65 but everyone, including police, consistently do 80) Is the v-star 1100 capable at those speeds? Can I pass, speed up, get around people if I need to? I am sure if will be after the engine work
-The v-star I get that I turn into a bobber will be nowhere near as fast but I will enjoy working on it I am sure
-When I ride the bike to work when weather permits, the fuel injected r1 is easier to just start and go so I don't disturb the neighborhood with noise when I leave at 645am. The cruiser/bobber I will have to let sit and warm for a minute or so.

And lastly...how do these 1100 motors hold up? I got a 2001 1100 lined up that I talked the guy down to 2800...the downside is that it has 22000 miles. Is that too many miles to do motor work on?

I am sorry if I harassed you guys with too many questions...but I just want to make the right decision when I comes to expensive toys Annnnd as much as I'd like to...I can only choose one or the other. Yes I know it is ideal to have both wife says no

All the best

Cory G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 PM

R1 to V-Star 1100 - Wise Choice?

Cory, I don't have a lot of answers for you but I know the 1100 can keep up with that speed and seems to be a solid engine. I don't think you will need to let the bike warm up all that much depending on the weather. 20K miles is really not all that much on a metric cruiser so if you really want the bike and like the price, I wouldn't let that scare me away. All the best man!
Steve

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM

I've got the same dilemma. trading my r6 for a road star. I had a shadow600 that I bobbed out, and I miss it. Also my girlfriend wants to do some 2up trips. One of the reason I got rid of the bobber was because I couldn't corner like the dirt bikes I grew up on, then I fell in love with the yzf highway speed and maneuverability. Still, I will most likely get a roadie in the near future. Good luck.
Joe

Last edited by Joekool4; 02-02-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

the 1100 should have no problems getting up to 100mph and cruise nicely at 80. these yamaha engines should get at least 75K-100K miles on them, but it mostly depends on how well you maintain them. on that 10 year old bike, find out as much as you can about previous maintenance performed on it. with it being at a dealer, that might be hard to do since they want to sell it to you rather than tell you about any problems it may have had or even know about them or know how it was maintained by previous owner.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM

1100 should be fine to Bob and get you to 80+, a challenge would be a Roadliner Bobbed , not sure I've seen one of those, but 116 CU will get you to 100+ in a blink!!

Ride On Top

Levi

Street:
2009 Yamaha Stratoliner S
2009 Yamaha 950 Tour

Off Road:
225 TTR Yamaha
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks all for the opinions and suggestions
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

anyone have an opinions on how a 12 year old 22,000 mile motor will take to being modified?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM

It depends on what all u want to do. If it's just carb jets and pipes it shouldn't hurt. It. However if you're planning on doing a big bore kit or high compression pistons etc. You might want to do some reinforcing, crank bearings and so on, while ur working on it, kind of preventative maintenance.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

i am thinking high compression pistons later on...but mainly cams (maybe valve springs), 2-1 pipes, carbs, air kit....pretty much most of the stuff offered by pacific coast star
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

The springs would be the reinforcement for the cams. If you're gonna do the pistons u may want stronger rods and crank bearings. I went to school for HDs so im just suggesting what I would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode