2009 1300 V-Star valve adjust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

2009 1300 V-Star valve adjust

My manual doesn't show the valves as needing to be adjusted yet the dealer says it should be done every 2nd oil change. I bought the bike used with 80,000 km on it and I don't know any of the maintenance that has been done. If the valves need adjusting is it something I can do myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 PM
KCW

Garage
whenever something broke my grandfather told me: If it was made on this planet, you can fix it.

Not sure if 1300s need their valves adjusted, but if they do, you can do it.

If its not in the maintenance schedule of your owners manual, I think the dealer was confused.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 05:32 AM

Garage
Valve adjustment is done every 16,000 miles and is stated in the manual. Most 1300 owners found at 16,000 miles the valves still were within spec. This is mostly because the engine design (valve train) uses roller bearings on the rocker arms that ride the cam shaft, this results in little wear unlike the 650, and 1100 engines that have the rocker arms ride directly on the cam shaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone suggest a source for instructions for the valve adjustment?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I am a diesel mechanic in my experience with diesel engine the valve clearance decreases as the valves and seat wears. Cold hard starting is usually a symtom of tight valves in a diesel is it the same on this bike engine?

What about the cam chain? does it have auto tightener? what is its life cycle? How had to change if need be?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
My Stryker is 1300. I checked the valves at 12 000 miles. It took me half day and I simply followed the instructions from Stryker service manual that I was able to download for free. You can try this for example: http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/file/...viceManual.pdf

I didn't remove the throttle body and I didn't drain the coolant, I was able to get to the valves without doing all that and it saved me time. I used long feeler gauges that I ordered from McMaster and valve adjustment wrench that I ordered from Partzilla (thanks to the guys from Stryker forum!) - it is Suzuki part number 09917-10410. I did remove the tank of course and I had to disconnect and tuck some fuel hoses and wires away, but it wasn't a big deal.

I believe V Star 1300 has the same engine so let me know if I can be any help.

Valve adjustment is not required with every second oil change, that's just overkill.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special

Last edited by nurtaeff; 09-28-2017 at 08:29 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

How far out of adjustment were the valves on your Stryker 1300?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMark View Post
I am a diesel mechanic in my experience with diesel engine the valve clearance decreases as the valves and seat wears...
Agreed, this is typically the reason valve clearance needs to be adjusted. Not to say other factors don't come into play but valve train wear plays only a very small part.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 10-03-2017 at 10:52 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
How far out of adjustment were the valves on your Stryker 1300?
I remember that one of the exhaust valves on the rear cylinder was at the high limit spec so I reset it to the average. All others were fine. I checked them like 5 times before I put it back together. The only reason why I decided to check them was that weird knocking sound that I noticed after the first oil change. It was come and go sound, very random. It disappears when you rev it up and seems to be ticking on idle only. Sometimes I don't hear it at all so I have no idea what it is. I still have it occasionally, but many Stryker riders from the Stryker forum said it's normal.

ticking noise - Yamaha Star Stryker Motorcycle Forum

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
I am a diesel mechanic in my experience with diesel engine the valve clearance decreases as the valves and seat wears. Cold hard starting is usually a symtom of tight valves in a diesel is it the same on this bike engine?

What about the cam chain? does it have auto tightener? what is its life cycle? How had to change if need be?
Yes, totally agreed!

Experience and common sense if you look at the design ) When valve plate and its seat wear out valve start "dipping" into the seat and lifts more closing the gap. And it makes a cold start hard because valves do not seal intake/exhaust properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode