New rider in SC - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

New rider in SC

Hi y?all. New rider. Going on two weeks now. Came across a 07 vStar 650 with 12k miles. So far I love it. Replaced the air filter with a K&N for now. Thinking about getting some pipes that are a little louder. Need input on that. Also want to put in crash bars. Thanks.
YammyV and YammyV like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Here?s a few pics. I have taken the windshield down for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4880BF4A-468C-40B8-9251-AC7F20977AE2_1506568248811.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	74890   Click image for larger version

Name:	D255E7F2-4B7A-48F0-94C0-80F047B8D92B_1506568275177.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	74898   Click image for larger version

Name:	0667A4E0-811D-4A47-88AF-A8A809A90B2A_1506568310549.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	74906  
YammyV, YammyV, Elk and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 AM
KCW

Garage
If you are going to put performance exhaust on the bike, do it as soon as possible since you have already modified the air intake. When you get the new exhaust on you will need to change the jets in the carbs to make the bike run correctly (not run lean). So get that all done at the same time. The jets are selected based on the intake and exhaust you put on the bike.

Is your windshield on a quick release? I really prefer my bike with it off, unless Im on the interstate going 70mph for an hour or more, or if its below 50F in the morning.

Did you ride the bike at 65mph+ on the highway with the windshield on, because it looks like its angled (raked) all the way back, about the same angle as the front forks, and I would expect your head felt like you were leaning on an orbital sander (unless the windshield it higher than your helmet). With the windshield at about the same height as your nose (so you can see over it, and the air blows up over your head) you can get severe buffeting on your helmet when its not angled just right - which is usually leaning forward as far as the mounts will allow.

That is a nice drivers backrest - you got a nicely modified bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

I took the windshield off first day. I do take it on the hwy a couple of times a week and it hasn?t been too bad at 70mph. What?s a good place to get performance pipes? That?s probably the only other adjustment I have in mind( that and rejet it afterwards). There?s a mc repair shop by my house. Went by there yesterday afternoon and spoke to the mechanic about it. He did pointed out that it may be running lean. There?s coloring on the front pipe, close to the front wheel, when it?s hot. So any suggestions on where to get performance pipes would be appreciated it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 07:54 AM
KCW

Garage
I have not purchased exhausts for any MC, but in general a good place to look is on Amazon. It sounds odd but give it a try - its a good way to get a feeling for going prices.

I have gotten tires, tune-up parts and my windshield from BikeBandit.com. Pretty much all of the MC parts websites will have exhaust systems.

It sometimes takes a day or two for people with the specific experience you are looking for to respond on this forum, so looking around on the MC parts websites will give you a quick idea of prices.

Your mechanic sounds like he know what he is doing. When you have an idea of what the exhaust will cost online + shipping, ask the shop how much they can get the same one for. Some shops charge a lot of overhead, and some are pretty reasonable. For example, when I needed a new battery I found them online for about $30. The only ones the local shop sells are $200. But they have pretty competitive prices on tires, windshields, helmets... So you have to check around first.

Whenever I can I give my business to a local shop, because it is nice to have a good mechanic nearby that I can depend on.

Last edited by KCW; 09-28-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from NC!

My wife rides 650 custom and that's a very cool bike!

I normally use Partsgiant for upgrades. They seem to have lower prices than any other place. I bought Cobra speedster slashdown pipes from them for around $140 cheaper than Amazon, Ebay, JPcycles, Revzilla, etc. Cobrapowerflo intake and cobra floorboards were about $50 cheaper and I just ordered Lindby Linbar last night that was $51 cheaper than anywhere else I went.

For spare OEM parts I normally use Partzilla and Jake Wilson for tires.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from Eastern Canada. The 650 is an excellent choice for your first ride and it looks like you got yourself a nice one!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Nice looking bike. I ride as 1100 so can't help much with the exhaust. There are many 650 riders here so I'm sure you will get great suggestions. Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys. I?ve been looking at the 4 hole mod for the stock pipes. I just want to be louder than what they are now. Is drilling the 4 holes harmful to the bike or not? I wanna give that a shot before spending a few hundred on pipes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode