Hello from the Northcoast - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By masterspiano
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By YamaMassGirl
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello from the Northcoast

Hello all,

I purchased my first bike 5 years ago, an old 1998 V-Star 650 Custom with 4K miles at the age of 40. I grew up on the back of my dads HD, going to grandparents, little league games, and school.

I bought my bike from a local dealer for a reasonable price, 2 days after I completed a Rider course. It is not an expensive bike, nor one that I knew I was going to keep long term. It was a perfect bike to really learn to ride on.

I am now in the market for a new bike. Well, not new, but a new-to-me used bike. What can I say, I'm thrifty, and I love workin on stuff!

I have friends that ride all sorts of brands of bikes, and each one tells me a different story. There isn't any brand bashing, but just props about the bikes they own. I personally love the Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads, but with the folding of the Victory line, I will not be heading in that direction. I have narrowed it down to a few brands and styles, but am leaning hard to another Yamaha. I have been looking hard at finding a used Road Star. I love the look, versatility, custom-ability, reasonably priced, and Yamaha reliability. My ex-Bro-in-law owes one and loves it.

I'll keep you all posted how the search goes and I may ask for some pointers on things to look for/watch out for.

Laters!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:51 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, please keep us updated on what you get. I don't think you can go wrong with a Road Star for all the reasons you mentioned. Be sure to post up some pics of your new to you purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:53 AM

Garage
Welcome from Maritime Canada. The 650 is indeed an amazing bike and a great way to back into riding. I got a new to me VStar 1100 last year and I love it. I didn't want anything smaller as I planned on taking a passenger a lot of the time. Riding solo it's got all I need. However when taking a passenger I wish it had a little longer legs so I've been researching Road Stars and I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading in the next year or two. I love the long stroke, old school style of them and from what I've read 100,000 plus miles is not unusual. I don't think I've read a bad review on them, and I've read a lot. Good luck with your choice and looking forward to hearing what you decided.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:10 AM
KCW

Garage
I have gotten the impression that people that buy Yamaha Road Stars keep them for the rest of their lives.... literally.

Can be a little hard to find a deal on a low mileage used one... and they dont make them anymore.

I talked to a guy this spring that was selling a 1999 with only 1600 miles, for $3000. I talked him into keeping it, because he was going to sell it and buy a harley. He did not realize the value of what he has, and I did not want to take advantage of him.

Im still looking for a deal.

Also considering a VStar 1300 or an FJR1300.

Last edited by KCW; 10-02-2017 at 07:13 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:28 PM

Garage
Hope your search is going well. Yamahas are great bikes. I have no regrets with my 950, as it had taken me many miles very comfortably. Definitely keep us posted and let us know what you decide.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 AM

Welcome masterspiano, I'm curious as to what you'll end up getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode