Electrical issues with 07 V Star 650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Electrical issues with 07 V Star 650

Recently picked a V Star 650 and love the way it looks and can't wait to start riding again. Small problem is that it doesn't run. the previous owner said that it was running and just quit running while they were riding it.

When I turn the key it starts the fuel pump, blinkers/brake lights, and horn works. I've replace the starter assembly and the starter relay. Checked the fuses next to the battery and they all check good.

Any thoughts on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Pull plug wire check for spark.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:14 PM

before bothering with the spark, does the starter even turn the engine?

I assume not since you replaced all the starter parts.
Check the clutch sensor, kickstand sensor, neutral sensor. Personally I would likely just jump out the starter relay and see if the starter spins. If it doesn't, you have an issue with the battery or starter, or the wires between them (not many wires to check).

If it spins, go for spark/plugs. Might need a carb cleaning now, not sure how long it's sat. Disconnect the regulator/stator and test without it connected, could be a fault there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:58 PM
KCW

Garage
along with all the regular wires (starter, ignition..) you need to check the ground wires to the frame.

I have lost count of how many dead bikes were fixed by cleaning the black wire from the battery to where it connects to the frame, or a black ground wire to the frame somewhere else. People always forget these.

Also when you push the button for the starter, does the green neutral light on the speedo, and the MC headlight stay on, or do they get dim? You might have a weak battery.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:30 AM

Check the oil level. My bike wouldn't start when I was maybe half a quart low.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 06:30 AM

patrickdk and KCW offer very good suggestions. The first things I would check are the "safety" kill switches such as the clutch and sidestand switches patrickdk mentioned... their failure is a pretty common cause for bikes not starting and is why so many owners bypass those switches.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
patrickdk and KCW offer very good suggestions. The first things I would check are the "safety" kill switches such as the clutch and sidestand switches patrickdk mentioned... their failure is a pretty common cause for bikes not starting and is why so many owners bypass those switches.
I echo that. I had issues with the kickstand sensor before and bike wouldn't start.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I checked all of the switches and cleaned them then fully charged the battery. It was turning over and great spark to the plugs. Still wouldn't fire up. Sprayed some quick start straight into the carbs and it fired right up. Tested the fuel pump and it was bad. I guess setting for so long it went bad. Got it replaced and it started up but with a new twist.....The carbs are spraying gas (almost as fast as it flowing into the carbs. Looking into rebuilding them now. Wish me luck!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 AM
KCW

Garage
sounds like the floats are stuck open. Before you tear them all apart try soaking them in a cleaning fluid.

Also need to keep an eye on your oil if gas is flooding the carbs - it does not take much gas in your oil before your bearings are destroyed.

Once you get the carbs fixed, dont run the bike for more than a minute, then change your oil - probably needs new oil anyway.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

it's up and running!!!! Thanks for all of the suggestions and assistance.
KCW, KCW, Diogenes415 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode