Just bought an 1100 classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Just bought an 1100 classic

After riding a 250cc scooter around town and occasionally on the highway for a little over a year, I finally decided to step up to a motorcycle. I found a Vstar 1100 classic with floorboards, sissy bar and highway bar, 2005 12,000 miles, for about $5000 after tax title tag and my first year of insurance.

Going from an CVT 250 to a shift-bike 1100 was a huge jump obviously, but I'm not in it to go fast. I just wanted a bike I can take on trips without feeling like I beat the engine up.

Yesterday was my 3rd day owning it and I decided to go 75 miles to San Antonio and see the Alamo. 150 round trip. I got 35mpg for the first half of the trip but I think that the gas that came in the tank probably caused that. I want to think I'll be getting 40 out of it when I fill it up next with mostly fresh 93 octane in there.

The only time I had an issue was on the way back. There was a moment when I pulled the throttle a bit and nothing happened. I sat tight and kept a good grip and after about 30 seconds all the sudden the bike takes off on me. I don't know what that was about. Cables need lube? Engine hot? air issue?

Compared to my little scoot, which I kept and I'll still ride for shorter trips, this thing is really comfortable, stops fast and hauls ass. Texas highways are usually 70 and flow of traffic is 80. I found myself doing between 60 and 70 depending on the wind since I have no windshield.

Anybody know a nice cheap short one I can buy? I just want to take a little pressure off my chest, I dont mind my helmet taking some wind.

Oh, and of course, I had my bike outside my shop at work the other night and caught a ton of compliments. I'm only 29 but people often think I'm about 22-25 so it was funny when older guys were like "I want a bike but I don't know about getting one this big..." They all think I'm a college kid on this beast. And also a girl walking by just stopped and said "Hey, what's going on?" I'm practically married so of course I blew it, but I was more interested in warming my bike up anyway.

After everbody was done gawking at it I stalled it riding away of course.

Anway, nice to sign up after lurking a bit here and there while I made my decision. In the future I'm wanting to do a trip in New Mexico and another to the tex/mex border.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Hello from East Tennessee. :-)

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Token
Silver/Blue Guy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Think I might have a problem with my new bike. It has about 12000 miles on it. After I had that issue on the highway yesterday when I was pulling the throttle back and it didn't pick up but then suddenly shot me forward I paid a bit more attention to it today.

I found that in 5th gear anywhere between 50-65 mph that if I tried to accelerate the engine would be heard to speed up but my acceleration was not in sync with it. The bike would jerk a bit and not accelerate. I was carrying very little weight, just me and a back pack. Could this be something in the pulleys?

I'm going to call the shop I bought it from since they sold the bike to me with a 3,000 mile 90 day labor warranty and hope that getting it on the record in less than 5 days with under 300 of my miles on it that they might give me a break on parts if needed. Anybody else have an issue like this?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Oh, on the plus side, when I filled up my tank today the math worked out to 49 miles per gallon + for my trip yesterday.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM

Garage
Sounds like cable issues to me. If it were the clutch it would do this on all the gears. Hope your stealer honors the warranty.

On a different note; welcome to the forum. The 1100 is one sweet ride and does good on gas.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

It does it in 3rd and 4th now. I think it's a certain rpm that I get to and it starts happening. I have a 90 day labor warranty but I'm hoping that if I hand it to them tommorow with only 6 days of ownership that I can catch a break on the Parts too. I was having trouble getting to 55 today. I hear the engine revving higher but dont pull forward.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 AM

Welcome aboard slunkmonkey.Hope its a miner problem.The 1100 a great bike.

09 V STAR 1300
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Just bought an 1100 classic

If your engine is revving but the bikes not pulling, that sounds like a clutch issue to me. Could be the cable going to it or bad springs not completely engaging it. Not sure, but I wish you all the best and welcome. We have a lot of really smart guys here so someone with a lot more knowledge than me will probably chime in soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I took it back to the shop. Technician said it sounded like the clutch. Also said that if I picked it up saturday and it's already back in that I probably wont have to pay anything. From working for GM customer assistance for a few years I know that you almost never tell someone they should expect to not pay before diagnosis because you might realize on closer inspection it smells like burned rubber or find signs of road hazard/damage. So for him to say it up front is encouraging that I'm not on the hook.

They also felt that if I was happy when I picked it up but had an issue after my first long trip that means it probably was the result of it needed to warm all the way up to show itself.

Finger crossed that I'll be back on my bike by the weekend and not having a repair bill. I have one hell of a great yelp review for these guys if that's the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode