Got my first v star 1100 with issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Quark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi all. I have bought 2006 yamaha v star 1100cc with 4200 miles. I was thinking it was a good buy but obviously its not because bike was sitting at least 4years and has gas in the tank. So after i drive 20miles i feel itnwas clogging. Then when i look at inside the tank i see alot of rust.
I put cider vinegar and let it sit for 5 days and that amount of rust came out from the tank.(see the attachments) Plus maybe %20 more went out when i put pressure washer in it. So i can still see some rust in the tank. What are you guys suggest me about this issue. Bike looks like new but not inside the tank should i try muriac acid and then seal inside. Or do i need new tank? And probably little particles goes to injectors. How can i apply seafoam to this bike to clean injectors. I dont wanna spend money on carb cleaning. Waiting your opinions thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_155457_1508382278292.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	75554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_154510_1508382336229.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	75562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_112202_1508382561945.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	75570  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM

Garage
Hey Quark, and welcome to the forum. Beautiful ride you got there. The 1100 is a great bike and I know once you get this issue sorted out you're going to love it.

Rust in the tank needs to be taken care of or it'll never run right, and it looks like you had some serious issues with it. I'm no expert nor have I ever had to do this, but I've read about getting the tank sealed in cases like yours. Not sure where you'd go to have that done but I'm sure someone else will chime in. Probably a rad shop could help you out.

The second issue is that all that rust has made its way into your carbs so you're gonna have to have them taken off and cleaned. If it's been sitting that long this would need to be done anyway. The fact that it started at all leads me to believe it at least had some stabilizer in the fuel but you still need to get the rust and other gunk outta there. These carburetors are relatively simple to work on and there are plenty of resources online to assist. Be sure to synch them after you put them back on.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 AM
KCW

Garage
Rust in the tank is not good, but it should not be able to get past the fuel filter - it should not be in the fuel pump (if your bike has one) and it should not be in the carbs.

The carbs could be full of gunk from the fuel evaporating out - but if the bike was able to run I would fix the tank first, replace the fuel filter (its probably plugged with rust) and the fuel lines in front of it, put some sea foam in a new tank of gas, and see how it runs, before you start pulling the carbs apart.

I dont know what it is with MCs and people ripping their carbs apart. I have owned 24 vehicles in my life, only the last 6 were fuel injected, and I have never needed to 'clean' or rebuild a carburetor ever. Nor do I know anyone that has. But for some reason MC riders will take their carbs apart at the drop of a hat.

?!

Regarding your gas tank, see if you can find a used one and paint it to match before you spend a lot of money on the one you have. Once rust starts I dont think you can stop it in the long run.
Red Whine and Red Whine like this.

Last edited by KCW; 10-19-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys for your advices. I think seafoam will takecare of it without cleaning carbs.i got fuel filter i m gonna put when im done with the tank. So is it not good idea to clean inside the tank completely with muriatic acid tjen seal inside. Maybe few times..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Rust in the tank is not good, but it should not be able to get past the fuel filter - it should not be in the fuel pump (if your bike has one) and it should not be in the carbs.

The carbs could be full of gunk from the fuel evaporating out - but if the bike was able to run I would fix the tank first, replace the fuel filter (its probably plugged with rust) and the fuel lines in front of it, put some sea foam in a new tank of gas, and see how it runs, before you start pulling the carbs apart.

I dont know what it is with MCs and people ripping their carbs apart. I have owned 24 vehicles in my life, only the last 6 were fuel injected, and I have never needed to 'clean' or rebuild a carburetor ever. Nor do I know anyone that has. But for some reason MC riders will take their carbs apart at the drop of a hat.

?!

Regarding your gas tank, see if you can find a used one and paint it to match before you spend a lot of money on the one you have. Once rust starts I dont think you can stop it in the long run.

Used tanks are 150 to 200$ on ebay. Plus 100$ to paint it at least. My tank is looks perfect there is not any scratches. If i can use meuritic acid plus seal would cost me less than 50$
KCW and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode