Road Star VS Vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Bilzer
  • 2 Post By caseyjones
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 4 Post By NorthernRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Road Star VS Vstar 1100

I have had a Vstar Silverado for 2 years and put about 10K on it. I have Mustang seats and crash bars and a box on back. I have been enjoying the bike BUT, like alot of others been on the highway alot and feel it needs a 6th gear. I have been contemplating a Road Star and looked at a 2011 with 17K on it and like it. I am 5'6" and both the 1100 and Road star feel about the same sitting on them and having my feet firmly planted. How are the short statuted people matching up with the Road Star? Any issues?
I would like to get some feedback from folks that have gone from the 1100 to the Road star. Is it more comfortable enough on the highway with less RPM to make this switch all the worth it? Has anyone one driver a Road Star and still preferred the Vstar 1100?

I have test drove the 1300 at a Motorcycle Rally, but have NOT driver the Road Star. As fpr the Road star are there any preferred years over others? I know that the 2011 is fuel injected and some years had the 1600 motor.
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Bilzer
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Garage
Have ridden/owned both an 1100 and 1300. Have ridden the roadstar. I like 'em all. They're all different bikes.

I think you've effectively answered your own questions already by identifying the variations. The differences are pretty clear. Heavier 'highway' bike with higher-speed cruising or something smaller/lighter/nimbler, or something in-between. It boils down to personal preference and 'feel'.

Go ride 'em and pick the one that feels best.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:39 AM

Garage
I have an 1100 classic, which is an excellent bike, but I did test drive a 99 Roadstar before I bought it. While the Roadstar felt nice, I was worried the extra weight might be an issue. It had been several years since I'd ridden bikes and I decided an 1100 would be big enough. About half way through the season this year and a couple of relatively short highway cruises with my wife I was wishing I'd held out for the Roadie. The 1100 is great solo or around town, and on the highway it gets the job done and will cruise at 75 all day with some in reserve. Not sure about the 6th gear (it's a short stroke engine and needs to rev) but I get what you mean. It does get a little "buzzy" over 65. What I'd like is something with a little longer legs, and that long stroke 1700 is just what the doctor ordered. From what I've read, people who own them absolutely love them and more than one says they prefer them over any other bike they've owned (yes, including HD). 100,000 plus miles is not unusual and is more the norm with them.

After riding mine for a summer I sat on a used Roadstar at the local dealership (haven't had the opportunity to ride one lately) and like you I found the feel to be similar and the weight difference negligible. I'm about 5'9 and 180 lbs and felt perfectly comfortable on it. As soon as the budget allows I'm going to try one out and likely trade up. From my research (and budget restrictions) I'm going to go with a carbed 1700.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your questions but just wanted to let you know there are others who feel the same way. If you do trade, please post and let us know your thoughts.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 AM
KCW

Garage
Some dealers are pretty good about letting you take bikes for extended test rides. I would only do that if I planned to buy the bike from the dealer.

Before I got my Vstar I had my heart set on buying a new HD Iron. Went to a local dealer with a pocket full of cash and my new MC license and MSF card. They would not let me test ride a bike. Yamaha dealer was far more friendly.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Garage
The dealer here offered to pull a VStar off the showroom floor for me to test ride when I was shopping for my 1100 but it was a Custom and I wanted a Classic so I didn't want to get them to do that for a bike I wasn't really interested in. They've since changed ownership so I hope that policy is still in place. Any dealer who won't let you at least test ride a used bike or demo doesn't really want your business IMO.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 AM

Garage
Welcome Bilzer, I canít add much more than the previous members. I think youíve gotten excellent advice. Iíve ridden the roadie, 1100, 1300, but not the 1700. I sat on a 1700 but was concerned about the extra weight. They all had a different feel to them. I decided to keep my 950 Tourer because itís paid for, I can easily move it around and it does what I need it to do. Please keep us updated on what you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 PM

Just to add a few points. The Road Star will have a 5 speed trans. Not sure how it's geared compared to your 1100. It might be taller and run fewer RPMs on the highway. The early 1600 cc versions had a 33 tooth front pulley vs a 32 on the latter models. Some complain they are geared too tall. I suppose it depends on the speed you intend to drive.

I've got a 2008 which is the first year for fuel injection. On the interstate running 70-75 I wish it were geared a little taller or had a 6 speed. But since my preference is two lane highways riding 2-up the 5 speed is fine. So definitely test ride one on the highway to get a feel.

I personally like the FI bikes but it seems those with carbs can get a bit better fuel mileage out of them. I get 35 riding back and forth to work. A combination of highway and city. 40+ solo on rides keeping it under 60. But mine is completely stock so not sure if there are things that would up those numbers.

I believe there were a couple recalls done on early models. An oil pump drive issue (99 model) and possibly a trans recall (prior to 2004 models?). From what I've read, Yamaha can confirm if updates have been done via serial number.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I am looking to pull the trigger on a 2008 Road star on Friday. I will probably sell my 2004 1100 Silverad0.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I did buy the Road star and just brought it back from upstate NY with a U-haul trailer. Took it for a 15 mile ride and it pulls nicely. Different feel than the 1100 and after a few miles I settled into it more. Lots of accessories came with it, such as lowers, stereo amp with speakers, Vance and Hines Pipes, power commander, new tires and servicing.
Are there any sites for used MC parts? I need to find a luggage rack for it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Garage
going from a short stroke to a long stroke engine will be the biggest difference between them, there's a lot less shifting with long strokes because of so much available torque

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode