new member - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By tony d
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By nurtaeff
  • 2 Post By nurtaeff
  • 2 Post By Arsen02
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Hello, looking at a touring bike to add to my garage, I own a HD XR1200 and a Yamaha RZ350 frankenstien The two bikes i am looking at are the V Star and Road Star. leaning towards the V The new bike will be used for a retirement cross country 4 to 8 week tour of America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 PM
KCW

Garage
sounds like a plan, but I think you are going to need more than 8 weeks to tour america

more like 4 to 8 years!

My parents had a big motorhome - would take off after christmas and not come back till May - for about 12 years.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 PM

Garage
Welcome from NC! Good luck with your search, both are great bike lines so you can't go wrong with either one.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
sounds like a plan, but I think you are going to need more than 8 weeks to tour america

more like 4 to 8 years!

My parents had a big motorhome - would take off after christmas and not come back till May - for about 12 years.
Wow, they've probably visited every small town in the States! Wish I could retire and go across the country... but I got 30 more years, lol...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Be sure to share some pics of whichever yammy you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 AM

hello all, my name is Arsen....................)) I am a new member here )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forums. I also wish I had the time to take a tour like that. I agree that both are great bikes.

I have an 1100 which is great for running around town and cruising backroads. It can hold its own on the highway too but if I was doing any amount of touring I'd step up to a Road Star, especially if packing for a road trip. With me and my wife the 1100 will cruise at 75 but it's working a little harder than I prefer and the longer legs of the Roadie would make for a much more comfortable ride. Plus you'll have some in reserve for hills and passing.

Just my .02.
nurtaeff and nurtaeff like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Welcome to the forums. I also wish I had the time to take a tour like that. I agree that both are great bikes.

I have an 1100 which is great for running around town and cruising backroads. It can hold its own on the highway too but if I was doing any amount of touring I'd step up to a Road Star, especially if packing for a road trip. With me and my wife the 1100 will cruise at 75 but it's working a little harder than I prefer and the longer legs of the Roadie would make for a much more comfortable ride. Plus you'll have some in reserve for hills and passing.

Just my .02.
+ on that. That's why I switched to Road King. Much more comfortable and smooth ride on the highways and less shifting comparing to my old Stryker. I could probably get the Stryker run better with Ivan's flash and 30-tooth pulley, but IMO stock HD already feels great out of the box. Weight is not an issue and I can cruise around the town just like it would be on something smaller. I think Road Star is similar to RK in that matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode