Hello!!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Hello!!!

Heya!

I joined because I'm considering a VStar in the near future! Hoping to get input on all aspects of them. We're going to do a bunch of weekend trips and need more comfort without breaking the bank.

Currently riding a 2003 Honda Blackbird (it is for sale!).

Thanks for letting me be part of this site.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gary
aka: Mutley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:57 AM

Garage
Gary, welcome to the forum from NC! I promise you will enjoy this community a lot. And you will definitely enjoy a bullet proof V Star design and ride. Share pictures of your new ride when you pick it up.

Ride often and stay safe! and warm!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 AM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Which Vstar are you considering? New or used. Main use, daily, just weekends mentioned, etc.? Approximate carrying weight. All these questions will help with recommendations. We have a lot of valued riders of many models here so suggestion will follow. I commute daily on an 1100 classic with weekend trips with wife. About 325 pounds between us. Bike works great for daily use. Does very good on longer weekend trip. At times a little more power would be nice. Can get a little buzzy at sustained 80mph, here in Texas many 75 mph roads. Wife and I take several 400 plus day trips every year without issues. Keep us informed on what direction you are leaning toward.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm looking for weekend trips with my wife, but I will ride to work witch is only a short distance. We want more comfort than the Blackbird has to offer. It is a great bike, but not suited for 2up. Atleast not for us.

I'm really liking the VStar 1300. I've seen different versions. I rode my friends 2012 VStar 1300 and liked it! It had windscreen, hard bags, and sissy bar. I think my wife would like that!

Gary
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm looking for weekend trips with my wife, but I will ride to work witch is only a short distance. We want more comfort than the Blackbird has to offer. It is a great bike, but not suited for 2up. Atleast not for us.

I'm really liking the VStar 1300. I've seen different versions. I rode my friends 2012 VStar 1300 and liked it! It had windscreen, hard bags, and sissy bar. I think my wife would like that!

Gary
1300 is pretty comfortable bike and definitely a good engine. My previous bike was Stryker with exact same engine, I had never had any issues with it. The only problem with the Stryker was a lack of 6th gear and low speed jerkiness, but V Star 1300 seems to have different gear ratios (I may be wrong though) and it rides a bit different (rode one on Yamaha demo truck day). More comfortable seat and seating position for sure. I'd get a fairing version of it if I was shopping for one.

If weight is not an issue - very good choice!

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM

Garage
Hopefully some 1300 owners will chime in. I will tell you that if I were to change bikes today for a commuter / weekend ride it would be a 1300.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee and Happy Thanksgiving! Canít go wrong with a Vstar. Let us know how your search is going and post some pics once you bring it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nurtaeff and nurtaeff like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Welcome from the Maritimes and another 1100 rider. I agree with what les said about the 1100 and from what I've read the 1300 would make an excellent choice, or even the Road Star if you want to go a little bigger. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Like the others have asked, please post a pic of whichever one you choose.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Still looking! Got my eye on a NEW! 2015 1300 Tourer. Any thoughts, critics? Good , bad, otherwise? Still need to sell the Honda CBR1100XX though...

Gary
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Garage
You stated you had ridden a 1300 before and liked it. I say buy it. Might want to make sure dealer understands that it's a three year bike, at least close to it, and be understanding if you bring in for warranty work. If fuel has been left in tank there might be some tank rust issues which might comprise fuel system. Has any oxidation started on any parts? Any vehicle sitting will age even sitting inside. Don't get me wrong, I would buy a left over model, just trying to make sure you inspect it very good. Keep us informed and good luck.

Last edited by lesblank; 12-03-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode