New Member from NY - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes
  • 4 Post By YammyTom
  • 4 Post By brittct
  • 4 Post By lesblank
  • 6 Post By NGM
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By nurtaeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

New Member from NY

Hi - Getting back into riding after a 35 year hiatus. I picked up a 2008 VStar 1300 last summer, little bigger than what I wanted to restart with, but I am enjoying riding again. Can't wait for the warmer weather to return, I'm getting the mid winter twitch.

Glad to find this forum. The bike came with a Memphis Slim shield, wind issues start around 60-65. I never had this issue with my prior bike and Vetter faring. I suspect I will be buying a batwing this season. I will be leaning on most of you to find a proven setup. I want the fairing, not interested in the Sound systems. I have no desire to be blasting music as I ride, might force me toward Memphis Shades since most of the other suppliers setup their batwings with speakers.

Thanks Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YammyTom View Post
Hi - Getting back into riding after a 35 year hiatus. I picked up a 2008 VStar 1300 last summer, little bigger than what I wanted to restart with, but I am enjoying riding again. Can't wait for the warmer weather to return, I'm getting the mid winter twitch.

Glad to find this forum. The bike came with a Memphis Slim shield, wind issues start around 60-65. I never had this issue with my prior bike and Vetter faring. I suspect I will be buying a batwing this season. I will be leaning on most of you to find a proven setup. I want the fairing, not interested in the Sound systems. I have no desire to be blasting music as I ride, might force me toward Memphis Shades since most of the other suppliers setup their batwings with speakers.

Thanks Tom
Welcome! You can learn a lot here! These guys are great. The memphis shades fairing is a really nice fairing. I just bought one for my 650 and it was around $300. I used HD quick release brackets that came off my dads old softail so I didnt have to buy a mounting kit. That runs you like $80 I believe. Love the fairing like I said, but it DOES NOT eliminate the head buffeting at high speeds. You will need to find the correct height windshield and possibly lowers on the fairing and forks. Unless you are dead set on a batwing I would buy some MS lowers and see if you can eliminate your problem with just those. There are tons of threads about lowers on here and all over the internet. Just use the search bar in the upper right to look at threads on the site. Post some pics of your bike, we love pics!!

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Great to have you here. Yea, we like pictures so post a few. I also returned to riding a few years ago after some time off. Now I kick myself for not getting back to riding sooner. Below is a link to wind issues. Good luck.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ghlight=Lowers

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome from not so sunny N. Florida

Edit.. now it is sunny Welcome to Florida if you do not like the weather wait 15 minutes :-)

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai

Last edited by NGM; 01-29-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee Tom. I ride the 1300s little brother, the 950. I went with the MS batwing fairing, lowers and deflectors added to the fairing. I also went with the 12 windshield as the 9 created way too much head buffeting. Im quite pleased with the setup I have now. Keep us updated on your progress. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 AM

Garage
Welcome from NC!

Getting back to riding is cool! I got back to it in 2016 after 18-year "break". Rode a Stryker for an year (same engine as V Star 1300) and traded it in for HD RK last year.

Please, share pics of your 1300!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode