2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Cool 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Owner

Hey everyone,
I have come here for tech advice. I could not make a new post so I am assuming I must make an introduction one first :X

My V-Star 650 is my first 'real' 2 wheeled machine. I love riding. I cannot imagine life without it now. I have owned it for about 2 years, but I have been riding around town for about 7 years, previously on mopeds, scoots. I am beginning to outgrow it. But I love it still, too.

Im a clean ex junkie, about a year. Life can be quite dull. Two things that keep me going and connected are my dog and my motorcycle. Im a musician but since getting clean, life is one big writers block. Ive not recovered enough yet to really feel my process to any real degree. My bike helps so much. I can set life to my required pace and enjoy fresh air the way I require to feel alive. I don't need to fly 130mph between cars lol, I just need a boost out of this life of civility and convenience and ho hum slavery. I love 2 wheels.

I want to get a bigger bike, but it's been really good to me. I don't want to mess up a good thing.

I have put 10k miles on it, and finally hit a speed bump. Ill go and try and post that again.

Pleased to meet you
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Nice intro. The forum is set up first introduction and after a short time you can post whenever. Please post issues in appropriate category. Any pictures to post of your bike? We're big fans of pictures. Ride often and safe.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM
KCW

Garage
650 is a great bike for riding solo, and for riding secondary roads up to 60mph, and empty backroads with no center line.

If you want to get out on the interstate then you will want a bigger bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. There are a lot of avid 650 fans here and I'm sure someone can give you some advice on your 'speed bump'. They are a reliable bike, as Yamahas are known to be and there is a wealth of knowledge here to help you get it running perfectly once again.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:11 PM

Garage
Nice intro. Welcome from NC! Riding is an addiction - in a good way.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Lets see if those work...

About its size and speed, yes I understand it's limits, which is why I would like a bike that runs comfortably at 90mph. But as I am sure many will attest similiar... I am 220 pounds and I rode my 650 vstar at 90mph today flatland =p. I have no problem keeping up with the big bikes on long rides. I just want to be more comfortable in the process, and not feel like the bike wants to blow up when we want to pass cars lol. It is definitely most comfortable around 70-75mph. Above 80 feels like it is kinda stressing it. But it has seen 95mph.

I bought it with purple LEDs installed with a switch. They are under the gas tank. I minimized the amount and spread of the LEDs to just light up the chrome a bit. I don't always use them, but its fun sometimes. The purple grew on me. Looks way better than it sounds.

It has V&H exhaust put on it... I put on the fork gaiters, did some spot painting, the blinkers, the air filter cover, and replaced the mirrors. Oh, and the foot rests got replaced by cheap pegs after a drunk accident. I still need to replace them with something nicer. They look fine though.

The exhaust makes it brutally loud with its smaller engine size around 80mph lol. That's where its like, it would be cool to be riding a larger bike growling smoothly rather than a murderous bumble bee on a loud speaker. But I also like it because I believe it helps with safety concerns massively.

Sounds real nice at lower speeds though.

I love my bike, small or not. Ill probably want to wait til I can afford a new bike rather than sell it to upgrade.

Last edited by jetpackmoose; 02-05-2018 at 09:37 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

I am surprised by the activity of this board... I will have to stick around

Last edited by jetpackmoose; 02-05-2018 at 09:38 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 AM

Garage
I have a much older 650 V-Star Classic. I haven't done much motorcycling in the past 30 years but in my day, 650 cc was a big bike. Here in Quebec, there are no roads that allow for speeds over 100 kmh (about 60 mph) so a heavier bike is not really important. I doubt I will be taking any long trips....maybe 600 miles to see my sisters and brother in laws in Ontario. I did similar trips on my 500 cc Triumph with my wife and baggage on the back. My present wife does not want to ride my bike so I will be solo

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Welcome and that's really nice clean looking 650 you have, jetpackmoose. Unlike others here I think the 650 is more than adequate for interstate riding and touring and as Dabluz noted 650cc was an engine size used for two-up touring back in the day and that was on old tech bikes that didn't have the broad powerband or smoothness of the more 'modern' XVS650. My 650 Custom is happy humming along at 70-75mph for hundreds of miles and she does it effortlessly and with less vibration than she has a right to.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM
KCW

Garage
Nice looking bike.

Your exhaust is loud because it is an after market set of pipes. The stock exhaust is pretty quiet.

For reference, the 650 engine hits it peak HP at 55mph in 4th, and about 70mph in 5th. People think these bikes are long throw low RPM bikes because they are V twins like a harley, but they are made very differently, they are made to rev higher.

The engine has a rev limiter, so you dont have to worry about hitting the redline. It will kick in at about 100mph in 5th gear.

If you really want to feel the HP peaks, shift into 4th gear at about 40mph when hold it WFO - at 55mph you will feel it take off.

Same deal in 5th gear - shift into 5th at about 45mph, hold it wide open and try not to smile when it hits 70 - it really surges, its just delightful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode