New to forum - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mac
  • 2 Post By nurtaeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Mac

New to forum

Good morning all, Just joined the forum yesterday, was on another own a few years ago but can,t find it now. I own a 2001 650 Classic. I need some help troubleshooting a "no power/lights" problem. My bike has been sitting for a few months over the winter. Charged the battery, checked positive, negative cable connections. Checked ground to frame. Could this be the main switch?

Thanks,
Mac
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Garage
Welcome from NC!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Garage
Hi Mac,
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. If you have any pics of your ride, we’d love to see them. We’re big on pics here.
We have 650 owners here, so I feel certain you’ll get the answer you’re seeking shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 AM
KCW

Garage
If you dont have one get a cheap digital volt meter ($10) from walmart or Harbor Freight.

The v star 650 service manual has been posted by people on the internet in pdf format. The schematic for the bike is near the end of the manual.

Start at your battery and work your way to the light sockets that are out, and see where you lose the 12V.

There is a fuse in the circuit, but they do not normally blow out unless a wire has exposed copper and shorts to the frame.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Mac

Thanks for the replies everyone. By saying "No lights/power, I mean there is nothing happening when I turn the key to the on position. No fuel pump, neutral light, etc. Nothing when I push the starter switch. All fuses are good.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:31 PM
KCW

Garage
that does sound like the key switch. Same debug though, check with a meter from the battery - if you have 12V on the battery side of the switch but nothing on the other side when its on, thats where its getting lost. When you turn the key on make sure the battery side of the switch still has 12V. With a really weak battery even the load of a headlight can pull it down to 0V.

Also, a corroded splice or fuse might conduct 12V thru when it has no load, but it wont conduct the 4 Amps needed by the headlight, and the power at the switch input would goto zero volts when you turn the switch on.

the simple way is to turn the key on, start at the battery and work forwards.

Last edited by KCW; 02-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Mac

Thanks KCW. I'll start testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode