Lowering Stratoliner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Paul Davis
  • 4 Post By Steelhorseman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Lowering Stratoliner

Need some help here. Just bought a Stratoliner. I'm 5'8" - front of feet touch the ground, heels about an inch and a half off. Currently has Mustang seats, which I enjoyed on my previous 950.

What is the best/safest way to lower myself an inch or so with this bike?

I looked at front spring and rear bar lowering kits, but heard of tires scraping fenders and floorboards scraping the road. Can anyone comment further?

Are there better seat options to lower me without sacrificing comfort? (back rest preferred as I enjoy long days on the bike, but I am getting old)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Many go with a lower profile rear tire...200/55-17 with good results.
You can loosen the tension on the rear shock and it will drop down a bit. Also there are lowering dog bones that will drop the rear up to 2. I also had a mustang seat and went with a different seat and that helped. (Sold as a ZR1 seat on eBay but I think it is made by Saddleman). Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorseman View Post
Many go with a lower profile rear tire...200/55-17 with good results.
You can loosen the tension on the rear shock and it will drop down a bit. Also there are lowering dog bones that will drop the rear up to 2. I also had a mustang seat and went with a different seat and that helped. (Sold as a ZR1 seat on eBay but I think it is made by Saddleman). Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that lowering bars are the way to go as Steelhorseman said. I have the lowering bars on my Vstar1300 and have it set to the 1" drop. Riding 2 up is no issue with suspension spring tension at 5.. most of the time if it bottoms out it's because the bump was that big. I don't think i have personally had it bottom out riding solo. The floor boards scraping is a given.. your lowering the bike so that means a few things go down with it. yes the 1" reduced the lean i can do but to be honest I'm in it pretty good when i rub and you just keep going.. that's why they put the wear tabs on the floorboards in the first place.

You can't ask to do one thing without it effecting something else.. as in how will you drop the seat height and nothing else and also keep the comfort your looking for. something has to give.

Just my $0.02

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode