Nice place you got here. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nice place you got here.

Hi all. My name is Derrick, and I'm from Bama (Roll Tide!). I have done a lot of reading in this forum, and decided to go ahead and join. I currently ride a bone stock 09 blue V Star 950 and love it. I have had three bikes before this one. First (and dumbest for me) was a 78 kawasaki ltd kz 1000 on a 900 frame. That bike quickly taught me that I do not need one that will stand up. The next two were V Star 650's, a classic first and custom second. I put a lot of miles on both, and finally decided to get a little more power. All in all i have been riding for close to 15 years, and have loved all most every second of it (didn't care for the wheelie). This will be my third year with the 950, and I am starting to think hard about mods. I have some Iso grips on the way, as well as some aftermarket mirrors. It really needs new pipes, there is just no sound with the stock one. I have put a lot of thought into cobras, the slip on's may be more my price range. New air kit will probably be in the not too distant future as well. Anyway, I will probably do more lurking than posting, but I will be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 AM

Garage
Welcome from the still frozen north, Derrick. Lots of 950 owners here who can offer tips and advice on your mods. I put a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips on my 1100 last summer and love them. I was getting numbness on the highway with the stock ones and they virtually eliminated it. Easy to install too.

If you've been hanging out for a while you know we love pics here so post one when you get a chance!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Garage
Welcome from SouthEastern VA

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage
Welcome from NC!

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Elk

Welcome from CO!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome from Sunny N Florida. Pipes/slipon and air kit will require a tune. I recommend Ivan's Performance. The Cobra slipon sounds really good IMO. I had it on my 950t. I used a Dynojet tuner.. All it does is remap fuel. It was ok, but Ivan will do a lot more. Where in Bama? We will be riding to a big get together in Bama next month in Ozark.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Making a bike your own with mods is always fun. Don't forget to check out our Bike of the Month thread.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

A few more interesting threads:

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

Ride safe and often.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

my '09 950 used to be bone stock as well

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll be glad to post pics when I take some good ones! NGM, thanks for the advice on the tuner. I live about 80 miles east of Birmingham, in a small dark corner that progress and industry has long since waved goodbye to. Seems like more and more things shut down every year. I've heard of Ozark, never been, never had a reason to go lol. Bevo1981, your bike looks great. By the looks of it, seems the factory wheels are all that is left unmolested lol. I really like the skull idea.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the east, as in East Tennessee. Im a 950 owner as well, and its far from bone stock. Were glad you joined us and please share some pics with us. Were planning a meet and greet in September, so come and join us. Look in the thread about the 2018 Southeast Regionals. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode