New to the forum - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

New to the forum

Hello fellow Roadies. I just purchased a new to me 2008 Yamaha Road Star 1700. Had 300 miles on it which alarmed me, but the bike has just been serviced and I got it for a steal, I think. Paid $3500 and the bike is stock with windshield.
Here is the best part to me. According to our local dealer, if I can put 700 to a 1k miles on it and not have to bring it back, he said I probably won't have to be back. The Service Tech said they rarely work on a Road Star.
That's good news to me!! I just rolled 1,200 miles and no issues. Glad to be back in the saddle!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:54 PM

Garage
Welcome from the frozen North !!!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee Lawdog. Any pics you’d like to share with us? We love pics here. Based upon your screen name, are you a sheepdog as well? Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 AM
KCW

Garage
I'll give you $3400 for it, since you put 900 miles on the odo!

Im not sure if you mean the mechanic said you can put 1000 miles on it, then bring it back for another oil change?

The break in oil change and valve adjustment check is usually around 400 miles on the odo on these bikes, to get anything out of the engine that might have been in there from production, and then after that oil changes and valve adjustment are every 4000 miles, with the filter changed every other time at 8000 mile intervals.

If he did the oil and valves at 300 miles, you are good till the next regular scheduled service, 4000 miles on the odo. If you dont have the owners manual you can find it on-line - the service schedule is near the back.

Or maybe he was telling you a road star is good for 70,000 to 100,000 miles before it needs any real work done - which is correct.

Nice deal, $3500 for a stock road star like yours is excellent. Getting a stock bike that no one has every messed with is my idea of a perfect find.

There are a lot of people that put loud exhaust, intakes and a bunch of other stuff on a new bike, and screw it all up.... Then they sell it because it runs like crap!
Dabluz and Dabluz like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Im not sure if you mean the mechanic said you can put 1000 miles on it, then bring it back for another oil change?
What he said was ... "Here is the best part to me. According to our local dealer, if I can put 700 to a 1k miles on it and not have to bring it back, he said I probably won't have to be back. "

Which I interpret as ... If there are not any issues within a 1,000 miles. There will not be any. (Minus regular oil changes, etc.)
KCW, KCW, Lawdog and 1 others like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. As Keith said, we like pictures. When you get a chance check out the Bike of the Month thread.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

A few more interesting threads :

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:06 PM
KCW

Garage
oh, that make sense

I had trouble parsing the IF AND NOT THEN NOT statement :^)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I am a shepherd to the sheep if that is what you mean? I am full time behind the badge and part time behind the pulpit.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I'll give you $3400 for it, since you put 900 miles on the odo!

The break in oil change and valve adjustment check is usually around 400 miles on the odo on these bikes, to get anything out of the engine that might have been in there from production, and then after that oil changes and valve adjustment are every 4000 miles, with the filter changed every other time at 8000 mile intervals.

If he did the oil and valves at 300 miles, you are good till the next regular scheduled service, 4000 miles on the odo. If you dont have the owners manual you can find it on-line - the service schedule is near the back.

Or maybe he was telling you a road star is good for 70,000 to 100,000 miles before it needs any real work done - which is correct.

Nice deal, $3500 for a stock road star like yours is excellent. Getting a stock bike that no one has every messed with is my idea of a perfect find.

There are a lot of people that put loud exhaust, intakes and a bunch of other stuff on a new bike, and screw it all up.... Then they sell it because it runs like crap!
Appreciate the info. They did the valves and oil at 300. I am going to change it again this weekend. Putting in Yamalube with OEM filter. Going with the fellas for our first ride in 2 weeks. Be gone for 3 glorious days of saddletime in the mountains of North Alabama.
KCW, KCW, blueblitz09 and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Welcome from Houston, Texas. As Keith said, we like pictures. When you get a chance check out the Bike of the Month thread.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

A few more interesting threads :

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Getting pictures on our first ride. We are going where there are a lot of covered bridges and waterfalls. Hopefully get a good pic. My "Yammy" is the 1700FI. It has a Silverado windshield but nothing else. I am assuming its a plain jane Road star I reckon.
Riding out of Central Alabama.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode