Hey everyone - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes
  • 12 Post By Irish Luck
  • 2 Post By Elk
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 6 Post By Irish Luck
  • 4 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By graybeard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Hey everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself.
I’ve been riding since I was 10. Started on a little Suzuki dirt bike.
Now I’m 46 and have had my V Star Custom 650 since 2000.
I’ve really enjoyed this bike
I’m looking forward to joining the forums and learning some new things.
I usually don’t work on it much unless it’s something fairly simple. It’s not because I’m not mechanically inclined. I’m average in that department...I mostly just lack the confidence to do things myself due to fear of making things worse. So I usually bring it in if it needs anything. I’m hoping to change that.
I’m recently divorced after 20 years and have so much spare time now I would love to learn how to do more with my bike myself.
Lately I’ve had the bug to turn it into a bobber. And I want to be able to make the modifications myself. Seems like half the fun of it.
So you’ll probably see me posting some newbie questions about the modifications and where I can find the parts needed to turn it into a bobber.
See you guys around
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Elk

Welcome from CO !!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, Irish. Glad you joined us. You'll be able to get plenty of tips and advice on your mods here. If you have any question post them in the appropriate forum so you'll get the most replies. The 650 is a great bike and lots of members here own and love them. Post a pic if you can and if you decide to go with the bobber mods maybe start a thread and keep us updated on your progress.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:20 PM
KCW

Garage
You have owned the bike for 18 years and its still running, so you must be doing something right.

If you want to start working on the bike yourself, I would start with things like oil changes, spark plugs, air filters... and as you get your confidence up you can pull the wheels off the bike to take them to a shop to get the tires changed, and save about $70 for the pair.

If you dont have one, the first thing you should get is a torque wrench. EDIT: 3/8" drive will cover just about everything. The one thing you can do to these fine machines and create a real nightmare is to overtighten a bolt into any part that is aluminum and strip it out. The torque wrench will keep you from doing that.

A handfull of sockets, and a few allen driver bits, and you can do all the things I mentioned by yourself.

Last edited by KCW; 04-12-2018 at 08:20 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. The 650 is a great bike and many owners here to help with your questions. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
This seems like a great forum with knowledgeable and friendly members. Looking forward to soaking up all the info I can.

I have done some maintenance on my bike throughout the years I’ve owned it. I took it to the mechanic my father used and was highly recommended by him and all the guys in his club. He was a member of a group called the Blue Knights. I guess they have chapters all over the world. They’re all cops or retired cops. Most ride Goldwings. So once when I needed my carbs cleaned from not emptying the tank for the winter I brought it to him. He did clean the carbs. But he also told me I needed a new clutch at under 10,000 miles. I thought that was odd. I had him do it because I trusted him. Turns out after he replaced my clutch he said I didn’t need it. I can’t remember exactly what the real issue was, but it never slips for me. It was something about second gear. And that the gears are pressed on instead of splined? This is my bad memory trying to recall this but basically he charged me over $1000 to clean my carbs (while he also stripped my mixture screw on one of them) he said they’re brass and strip easily. Great! Mistake #2. Then as I’m driving it home I’m sitting at a stop light and see smoke rising from the engine.
I turned right around and went back immediately. He spent about an hour trying to figure it out but couldn’t. He thought there may be some oil that spilled somewhere and was burning off. But what didn’t make sense was the second I turned it off the smoke stopped. If it was oil burning off part of the engine it wouldn’t cool down immediately like that, it would continue to smoke for another minute or so.
So I took the tank off and started poking around. The PCV vent hose was missing. Which most likely was on the floor in his shop. Especially since he had to remove it for the service he did. That’s the point I realized I need to do this myself.
If I was able to find a problem a certified Honda mechanic couldn’t find I can figure it out.

I did go out and buy some torque wrenches at the time. (although I’m ashamed to admit they are from Harbor Frieght, so I hope they work correctly) I thought maybe my exhaust gaskets needed replacing and that was causing the smoke. It wasn’t that but I did get to learn how to change my exhaust gaskets. Lol.

So I just got my bike back last month after it being at my ex’s house for a year. And again, carbs gummed up. So I took it to the local shop and when I picked it up he said it ran great but the check engine light was on and he didn’t know why. Well that sucks. There’s obviously a problem. And it wasn’t on when I brought it in.
So I noticed when I turned it on the light didn’t come on until I touched something...clutch, brake lever, throttle. Then the light would blink 3 times. I googled it and it’s a code for the throttle sensor. So off with the tank and what do I see? The throttle sensor cable not even attached. Plugged it in, put her back together and light was off.

Very long story short...I’m learning if you want something done right do it yourself. That’s twice I fixed mistakes that professional mechanics caused and couldn’t figure out. And I paid for that?
So that’s what brings me here.
Time to learn more so I don’t have to pay someone to screw it up again.
I’ll post a picture of her, she’s a beauty and just turned 18.
I have Cobra pipes, jetted carbs and K&N air filters that sit on top of the carbs. She’s peppy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65BCA4A1-1EE5-4018-A00A-086F22B73692_1523587114024.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	79553  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 PM

Garage
That is a beauty indeed - love the paint. Sounds like you're well on your way to fixing and maintaining your own bike. I have more experience with cars than bikes but I've been doing the same and I'm not only saving money but having a blast learning how to do it.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:08 AM
KCW

Garage
Irish Luck, when I was a kid and something broke, my grandfather would tell me "If it was made on this planet, you can fix it".

There are good mechanics out there, and there are people who dont really know what they are doing. But one thing is always true: no one cares about your motorcycle more than you do, and no one wants to spend their own time getting your bike right, except you. A shop mechanic wants to get the job done as fast as possible, so he can get to work on the next bike.

One of the reasons I like motorcycles is they are about the simplest motor vehicle you can own. Esp if you dont get fuel injection, water cooling, air suspension, ABS... Our Vstar 650s are ideal in this regard.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from one Irishman to another. Great looking bike ride you got there. You’re finding lots of advice and help here, best motorcycle forum going in my opinion. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here myself. You'll enjoy it and get a lot of help. Lots of 650 riders here. You're in the right place. I had one for a year or so and was completely pleased with it.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode