New Dayton Ohio Member - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By JimCanaday
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By JimCanaday
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 6 Post By JimCanaday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Dayton Ohio Member

Hey everyone! New member from Dayton, Ohio. After a 30 year break in riding, last year I picked up an '01 V-Star 650 Classic with just 10,500 miles on it. Only managed to put about 3,500 miles on it last year but, I really enjoyed getting back on a bike. I started making plans to ride on my summer vacation to visit family in Oklahoma... I had a lot of people tell me that the 650 would probably be straining awfully hard on such a long trip that, I started shopping for a new ride. I really wanted to get a Star Venture Transcontinental but, wasn't sure I could pull that off. Long story -> short: I was at a (reasonably) local Yamaha dealer and they had a never-sold 2014 Stratoliner S on the floor marked down to $13K.

I couldn't pass it up! I had them add the Passing Light kit, the Crash Bar and, the Luggage Rack (All Yamaha parts) but, I haven't done anything else to it, yet. I am expecting delivery of the 'Smart Brake Module' from Safer-turn today, though and, am hoping to put it on tonight or tomorrow. (https://www.safer-turn.com/us/) I've already racked up over 1000 miles, including a 330 mile round-trip to Lexington KY two days ago.

I'd really like to upgrade the somewhat small leather-wrapped saddlebags for something larger. I ran across another Stratoliner rider a couple of weeks ago who had Corbins - man, I really liked the looks of them! Their website says they won't work with the quick-release sissybar. Anyone know any more about that? Like, is that really true? Can I change over to a factory non-quick-release?

Since I don't think I'll be able to get the saddlebags upgraded in time for my vacation, anyone have any thoughts on tail bags? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Kuryakyn Momentum "Vagabond" (Sissy bar mount) or "Road Warrior" (Rear Seat Mount).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Stratoliner.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	80186  
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:09 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont know if you can get one for the stratoliner
but if you are going to be riding solo, putting a trunk on my 650 was the best thing I have done. Its the best backrest I have found yet.

I had to fabricate brackets to put the trunk where the passengers seat was.

See my garage photo on the left (click into the garage page, then click on the photo there)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was thinking of something soft. Something like this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-rear-seat-bag

Sitting on the back seat and, strapped to the sissybar, it would be a pretty decent backrest. I put a Givi V56NN on my 650, replacing its sissybar with the add-on backrest for the passenger.

Part of me would like to put a hard tailbag on the Stratoliner but, I'm not sure I'd really like the look. Now, if I could get the Corbin Saddlebags to work and get them painted to match.... :-D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:26 PM
KCW

Garage
I went on a few trips and tried strapping things down on the passenger seat. It never seems to work well because, for example the sea-bag I used one time could just roll off sideways, no matter how you tied it down.

You really want any kind of luggage, bag or trunk connected solid to the bike. If you have to turn hard and it starts moving from side to side you can get an oscillation going and end up with a "death wobble" or tank slapper.

I have gotten so use to having something to lean back into, even just a little bit, that now I find it uncomfortable to ride the bike without it. It would be like cranking the back of your car seat down level, and driving around like sitting on a bar stool.

there are drivers back rests you can get, but the way the aftermarket ones attach to the bike they always seemed flimsy to me.

BTW, I agree it looks odd on the bike by itself, but when the rider is sitting on the bike it looks more...well... right.

Last edited by KCW; 05-04-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You know, I spend most of the time riding solo so, maybe I should give your solution more thought. Is it easy, or at least not a total PITA, to switch it back over to a passenger seat?

And you're right. With you sitting on it, it doesn't look odd at all. Maybe I'm too hung up on keeping that passenger seat that never gets used (but hope springs eternal!).

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Garage
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Very nice intro and a picture to boot! Great looking bike, and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:46 PM
KCW

Garage
I fabricated two 1" wide 1/8" thick soft steel straps that go across the fender side to side, and connect into the 4 bolts that hold the rear fender to the side fender support rails. I just pull the 4 bolts out (2 at at time) and it lifts right off the bike. It took some finagling to get it in just the right spot and weld the bracket all together, its not adjustable so I only got one shot at it.. Im pleased with the way it turned out.

and compared to saddlebags with leather straps and buckles or velcro, the trunk opens in one second, pushing the button with one finger, and clicks shut.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Nice looking bike. I bought this bag a few years ago. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Extra-...sy+bar+luggage
Here's a picture on the bike about a month ago. Held everything for wife and I on a three day trip. The top section comes off if not needed.

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Les, that looks like a nice size bag. Plenty of room to pack for one for 9 days. (I mean, it's a trip to visit family - I *could* do laundry while I'm there. ) And having a rain cover is a plus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode