Hey from So. IN - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey from So. IN

Hey all from Southern Indiana gonna be getting a v star either 1300,650 or 110 this fall figured I'd go ahead and join and learn as much as I can

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Will this be your first bike? What type of riding do you plan on doing, around town, daily commuter, long trips, riding solo or two up? There are many here that fit any riding style and sure you will get recommendations. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

2nd bike first one was a 94 fxdl but don't have deep enough pockets for another one. Commuting, weekend cruises with the wife and probably vacationing when it's just us. I'm leaning towards the 1300 but if the 650 would be okay for both of us (both are between 200 and 220 each) with all our gear then we could save a couple grand

650s around here are anywhere from 1200 to 3k
1300 are usually 3 to 5
We're not wanting to spend over 4k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 PM

Garage
Found this listing for carrying capacity. Depends on web site but all were within about 10 pounds.

V Star 650: depending upon the model, 392 lbs to 441 lbs;
V Star 950: 463 lbs.....950T: 419 lbs
V Star 1100 Classic: 396 lbs
V Star 1300: 463 lbs.....1300T: 419 lbs
Roadliner: 463 lbs.....Stratoliner: 410 lbs.

I ride an 1100 and can tell you 400 is about right without affecting ride or handling.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

So with both of us and gear we'd be probably a few pounds over on all models we're looking at.... What does Yamaha expect on their bikes twigs and carpenter dreams?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, Dan. I don't think you'd be happy with a 650 for your needs. It's a great bike and can hold its own on the highway, but riding two up on the highway might be a little much for it. I'm sure some of the 650 riders here can give a better review, though. (KCW?...lol)

I have an 1100 and the two of us weigh about the same as you two. It's great around town and on the highway solo. With both of us it's still good around town and it's adequate at highway speeds, but I wish I'd have gone a little bigger. It'll cruise along at 70 or 80 with two no problem but has to work a little harder on hills at highway speeds. It's good for short highway cruises but if I were going to do any amount of touring I'd want something with a little longer legs.

I think the 1300 would work great for you. Personally if I were to trade up it would be to a Road Star, mainly because it's a long stroke, air cooled, old school kind of bike, but that's just my preference (I like high torque at low RPM). You should be able to find one in your price range too. Don't let the 1700cc worry you - they're nicely balanced and don't feel as heavy as you'd think.

In the end, you can't go wrong with any of the Star bikes as far as being dependable, but make sure you get the one that will suit your needs best.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Hi dan, welcome to the forum. You’re getting great advice from our members. For the kind of riding you’re planning on, I’d also go for the 1300. With a few minor performance enhancers, you should have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 PM
KCW

Garage
I agree with NortherRider, they don't make them new anymore, but you can find a Road Star (1600 or 1700 about 65HP) for $4k. I would not mind having one myself.

Another bike to look at is the Royal Star - its a V4 water cooled cruiser. Its also the basis of the older Venture series full fairing/bagger bikes.

I like riding my 650 just about anywhere solo, esp without the windshield, on secondary roads, travelling light (change of clothes and a pocket full of cash). I have seen people fully load up a 650 with 2 up and a bunch of camping gear, and its makes me cringe.

Its all a matter of tradeoffs - there are several larger Vstar bikes that would be good for a 3 day weekend trip, staying in a cabin or a hotel, and not carrying a lot of stuff. If you really want to go touring you might want to consider a used Goldwing.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey from So. IN

My buddy's dad has a 1500 goldwing for 2500 but when I sat on it I got instant thigh cramps and had to be helped off it
Probably going with a 1300
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:25 PM
KCW

Garage
BTW, cool that you are planning so far ahead. I decided to get my MC license in August 5 years ago, looked into taking the MSF course in the fall, but did not take it till the end of May the next year. That spring, waiting to get my license, I was like a little kid crossing off the days on the calendar.

Also wanted to say that any riding you can do on a MC is a great experience. If you decide a bigger Vstar bike does not have the load capabilities for the kind of touring you would like to do, then riding 2 up around town and taking long rides in the country in the evening and on weekends is still well worth the investment.

EDIT: just read your last post - I took an '83 GW for a test ride, and I kept wanting to put my feet on the cylinder heads.

Last edited by KCW; 05-09-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode