Replacement light bulb - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Cool Replacement light bulb

Hey all, Chino here. I have a small dilemma that I'm confronted with 1) one of my light bulbs in my left passing lamp went out, how do I remove it to replace it 2) the light bulb has a 3H 12V 35W bulb, my question is can I replace it with a bulb that is 3H 12V 55W. The passing lamp is on my Roadliner, if that makes any difference. Pls give me a shout out and get me up to speed on what I need to do. Thank you....God's blessings.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Garage
I ride an 1100 so I'm afraid all I can offer is a welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will reply with an answer to your question though.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I'm on an 1100 so can't help much. My concerns would be the extra heat the bulbs would generate and can the housing handle it. The other issue might be the extra 40 watt draw. Do you have any other electronic add ons that would stress charging system. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

now that you've posted your introduction post, you're able to post elsewhere on the site. i would advise posing your question in the general bike forum here. i would also advise against putting a higher wattage bulb on your bike. it will draw more from your battery, and as already said, will produce more heat. if you are replacing the factory halogen bulb, there are tons of same wattage halogen replacements on the market to choose from. i'd imagine you would want both passing lamps to look the same and not have one brighter than the other. so if you're replacing both, there are brighter halogen options to go for such as from PIAA, Sylvania, etc., or you could switch to LED which will be both brighter and less battery draw/heat than your current bulbs.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Garage
Check out Superbrightleds and see what they have ,then replace both of them. They have a lot of options for brightness and color, super easy to order from, and real quick shipping. I just got all new gauge lights and they are great! They really are super bright and I won't ever have to change them again!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Chino. Please share some pics of your ride with us.
Bevo raises an excellent point, post your question in general bike talk, and thereís a lot more options out there now regarding bulbs, LEDís last longer and much brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Garage
Just installed LED headlight bulb on my wife's 650. It's like Moon and Sun difference in lumens. (I know I know Moon only reflects light from Earth )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925[1].jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	80474  

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
Just installed LED headlight bulb on my wife's 650. It's like Moon and Sun difference in lumens. (I know I know Moon only reflects light from Earth )
Can LED be focused? (Never installed, never used. So I am a complete noob when it comes to LEDs)

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Can LED be focused? (Never installed, never used. So I am a complete noob when it comes to LEDs)
the bulb itself - I don't think so. But I guess you could try to find different lens and point the headlight a bit more down so it won't blind the other drivers at night. It adds up a lot of visibility in a daylight - that was the main reason for my wife's bike modification. She does not ride at nights anyways. I've had an LED on my bikes for a couple of years and didn't have any issues either with upsetting people or unfocused light beam. All I did was just tilting the headlight to lower the beam a bit.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special

Last edited by nurtaeff; 05-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM

LED can be focused just like any other light.

The difference is using a normal bulb focusing lenses on an LED, as the led normally doesn't project light in the same directions as the other bulb does, so you get random bad light spots in your light pattern.
nurtaeff and nurtaeff like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode