New here - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

New here

hey all,names Dave, new to this forum. Former NYer living down in Florida now just north of daytona. I have a 2005 V Star 1100 and love the ride. I actually had to drop it a few weeks ago thanks to a driver who doesnt believe in stop signs, My first drop and slide ,around 25 feet, we both faired very well, just a bit of road rash on me and even less to the bike. Its out of the shop now and rides better then ever,glad to join this forum, looks like it can be very informative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Welcome Dave....I'm in British Columbia, Canada..riding is over here for the winter but look forward to starting up again maybe in March..my son rides his BMW all year round but he too had a spill last week..Hit a steel man hole cover in the rain on a city street going round a corner and slid the rear tire out from under......he bumped around a bit and the bike bent a pass foot peg but other than that is ok
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Garage
Welcome Dave,
I dropped my 650 Custom a couple years back. Took a sharp corner to close, front wheel caught some dirt and next thing I knew I was laying in the middle of the road. Funny, first thing I though of was how much damage was done to the bike. I had a bit of road rash and the emblem on the tank was worn away a bit as well at the front brake lever. That was it.

Hey Edge, where in BC are you? I live in Victoria.

Dave
'07 V-Star 650 Custom
'06 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'16 DR-200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Hi Dave
I'm in Cobble Hill.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM

i guess if you ride it will eventually happen. i was backing up in a parking lot and there was gravel and my foot slipped and the bike dropped instantly, cant stop it once it starts to drop. i did the leg squat to lift it up and all ok, just a bent rear brake pedal that i bent back straight using a pipe wrench. glad to here i am not the only one that has dropped a bike.i might try to ride some this winter on the warmer dry days, ride safe.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Garage
I was pretty embarrassed when I dropped my bike because I was on a poker run at the time for the Motorcycle Ride for Dad, a prostate cancer fundraiser in Canada. Luckily I was surrounded by other bikes in an instant and was offered help by some very nice people. I don't think I have talked to any biker that hasn't dropped their bike at one time or another.

Hey Edge, do you ride in a club? There are a few around here but I don't know anybody in them so I don't know what they are like.

Dave
'07 V-Star 650 Custom
'06 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'16 DR-200s
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

You want embarrassing? my first bike I had some 30 yrs ago was a honda 750, first time I ever rode, i was the first vehicle at a red light, leaning to one side looking good and ready to roll, about 2 seconds before the light turned green the bike slowly slide down to the ground, guess I leaned too much, so there I am at a green light, cars behind me waiting to go and my bike was laying gently on the street with me standing over it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM

My first, and so far my only, dump happened in the first 10 minutes of my first ride! I was cruising around the neighborhood getting used to the bike (a Suzuki VS800 Intruder) and turned down a side street that I thought was a cul-de-sac but it was a dead end. I tried making a u-turn in the driveway of the last house on the street. As I made the slow speed turn, I didn't think I was going to make it, so I turned in a bit (too) sharp and over it went. I was probably going less than 5 MPH, so the only damage was a slighly bent foot peg that was easily fixed, some light scratches on the mirror frame and my bruised ego. Since then, I've thought a lot more about, and have used, counter-weighting when making slow speed turns. This maneuver was taught in the Motorcycle Saftety Rider's course I took and is something that all riders should practice and know how to do.

Steve
'08 V Star 1100 Midnight Custom
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
hey all,names Dave, new to this forum. Former NYer living down in Florida now just north of daytona. I have a 2005 V Star 1100 and love the ride. I actually had to drop it a few weeks ago thanks to a driver who doesnt believe in stop signs, My first drop and slide ,around 25 feet, we both faired very well, just a bit of road rash on me and even less to the bike. Its out of the shop now and rides better then ever,glad to join this forum, looks like it can be very informative.
Thought I would give a welcome as well, new to the site myself. I have a few other forums I find very helpful. The V* 1100 is an excellent bike, I had one for five years and really did want to keep it, although acquiring a new bike rules that out.
Sorry about your drop incident. Better to crash than be hit and dragged. Glad you and the bike are more or less OK.

-Caper
3rd Officer
Road Captain
All Canadian Riders Club
Chapter 001 Durham ON Canada
http://www.allcanadianridersclub.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode