Hello from Ephrata, Pennsylvania - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Cool Hello from Ephrata, Pennsylvania

Just acquired/gifted a used 2004 Yamaha vStar 1100 Classic with 33k miles on it that required a carb and exhaust system replacement before starting.

I'm a do-it-yourself person with 25 years background in Information Technology (super helpful when it comes to bike mechanics!). On top of that, I have not been or worked on a bike in over 20 years so I'm going to need all the help I can get!
Elk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 AM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:40 AM
KCW

Garage
why do you have to replace the carbs? I can see them needing to be cleaned if they sat full of old gas, but replaced? Thats pretty drastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I ride an 1100 also - great bikes. Lots of helpful people here so feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'm kinda curious about the carb replacement too.

One thing I love about this site is that you'll never get "it's been answered before - use the search button" as a reply. Make sure to post in the appropriate forum for best results. And post a pic of your new ride when you get a chance. We love pics here.

Oh, and they're doing an upgrade so it's a little funky around here atm. Don't be discouraged - it'll clear up soon (something about time travel and causal loops - I dunno).

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. For best visible post your issues in the Vstar forum.
V Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
The more info you can give us the better the responses. Good luck and keep us posted.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Garage
I'm not too far from you in Philly. I always wanted to do the Ephrata bike event last year but it always seemed to rain out. Good luck with the carb rebuild. Loads of info and help from this site. What is the problem with pipes?

Need some wind therapy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I'll answer all the above at once as best as I can...

The quick backstory is - my friend bought this bike from a work buddy. The work buddy had put on a custom carburetor (unknown reason why) and had a matte black paint style put on the tank and fenders with a custom paint strip design done that only the driver can really see. My friend only drove it about 300 miles. He then went into the Marines and was looking to get rid of both his Mustang and this bike. I told him I would store and take care of his Mustang so he has it when he gets out (or is aloud to have his own vehicle), and in return he gives me his bike and I would take care of both. He dropped the bike on its side which crushed the exhaust system. He removed it and then let it sit through last Fall and Winter and most of this past Spring until I picked it up. I don't know if it was in a garage or out but it was not prepped for storage.

@KCW - Apparently the "work buddy" had attached a carb not compatible with the vStar 1100. I do not recall what it was fouling over and over and needing replaced because of it but my friend bought the KJS intake & carb kit to replace it. He handed it over with the bike so replacing it seemed like the best thing to do while I was waiting on the exhaust pipes to be selected, delivered and installed.

@NorthernRider - Pics and Vids coming soon. I do believe solving problems is best by done by visuals (pics and vids)

@balzout1100 - I've yet to get involved with the events out here (but I'll get there soon!). Currently the only problem I am having is lots of white exhaust smoke and a coating of oil inside the muffler end of a HK 2-to-1 Sideburner exhaust system that I bought and attached. We're talking about it in the vStar forum now: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...t-exhaust.html

Last edited by Maetag; 05-19-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

That's a cool site with great info - I have it bookmarked too!

I also have bumped into these...
Shop Manual: https://www.sloneservices.com/Silver...anual99-07.pdf
Parts & Diagrams: Replacement OEM Parts for 2004 Yamaha V STAR 1100 CLASSIC (XVS11AS)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I took a quick picture and threw it in my profile album thingy as well.

(edit) Apparently the upload feature does not work right now...
(edit) Drag and Drop does not work when pulling it directly from the phone microssd drive.

Last edited by Maetag; 05-19-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Upload did not work. Posted an IMG link which also is not working for me...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetag View Post
That's a cool site with great info - I have it bookmarked too!

I also have bumped into these...
Shop Manual: https://www.sloneservices.com/Silver...anual99-07.pdf
Parts & Diagrams: Replacement OEM Parts for 2004 Yamaha V STAR 1100 CLASSIC (XVS11AS)
it was originally slones, now is called the wkb, if you go to the library section you will find manuals.nice bike single carb is unusual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode