XVS 1100 bad pistonrings taking oil - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

XVS 1100 bad pistonrings taking oil

Hello

I did a thread about a xvs 1100 that is taking oil,bad pistonrings! but I can`t Found it any more
But...

I did a compression test to day and the front cylinder where 12,6 bar = 182,7 PSi
and the rear cylinder where 10,1 bar = 146,5 Psi dry and with oil added in the cylinder it was 12,6 bar = 182,7 psi so it seeams to that I have a bad pistonrings in the rear cylinder.
The bike has only done 25000 km = 40 000 miles.

Can it be because I have a exhaust pipe that is "without silencing" and it has been running to hot because of that the pistonrings?
(I do have a silencing, but it does make som noice the bike, I don`t know how to explain, but you get it any way I guess)

Next questions.

I need a tips, where to buy the parts I nead, pistonrings, gasket and oil.
I live in Europe so I would like to have tips for a partdealer in Us and Europe.

//Henrik from sweden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:04 PM

Garage
Here is a souce for rings.
https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/...-00?redirect=1
For gaskets and other items.
https://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/...vs1100an-parts
I would investgate the cost of the engine rebuild and worth of the bike. At times it make more dollar sence to cut your losses and just pick up another bike. I love my Vstar and rebuild car engines all the time. But I would not rebuild my Vstar motor as there are bikes out there for sale for about the same price of engine refresh. Just my opinion. Good luck and keep us informed .

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:17 PM
KCW

Garage
If the only modification to the bike is an aftermarket exhaust, I don't think that would lean out the mixture enough by itself to cause damage to the rings. If the engine was running hot because it was too lean, I think you would see burnt valves, or maybe a warped head that would cause the head gasket to fail.

If the bike has aftermarket exhaust and a low restriction air intake then you would definitely need to change the jets in the carb and adjust the PMscrews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
25,000 KM is about 14,000 miles which is not very much. You didn't say what year it was. I would repair the bike. If I did it, it would take time but you would be surprised at how easy it is. I know very little about mechanics but I have changed pistons, valves, carburetors etc on bikes, snowmobiles, ATVs and always managed to come out ahead and ended up with solid machines. I am against modifying though. I did modify my 1969 Triumph Daytona and regretted it. It never ran perfectly after the exhaust and jetting change. You can find free parts diagrams on the internet. I bought a used snowmobile one day and it needed repair work. I ended up replacing the chain case, all the bearings, suspension and other parts of the propulsion system. When looking at the parts diagram, I found that some parts were missing and other parts were not in the right place. Even if you buy another bike, it is probably a good idea to repair the old bike and then sell one of your bikes.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode