newby - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

newby

Hello all, new member here. Traded my Vulcan 800 Classic for a 09 V Star 1300 with a little over 11,000 miles on it. So far I love the bike, really surprised, this thing has some balls.
Keith Post and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 PM
KCW

Garage
its surprising how much tighter an engine can be made, and how much more power you can coax out of it, when its water cooled. I have always liked the simplicity of an air cooled engine, but water cooling definitely has advantages.
Keith Post likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
its surprising how much tighter an engine can be made, and how much more power you can coax out of it, when its water cooled. I have always liked the simplicity of an air cooled engine, but water cooling definitely has advantages.
I hadn't ridden a bike for 30 years, so I started with the Kawasaki 800 Classic. Didn't know if I could handle a big bike, I'll be 68 in a couple weeks. Only had it a month and a half and traded it back in where i bought it. Only lost a few hundred on it, but I was happy with the deal. My 1300 is setup a solo bike but that's just fine, as my wife died last year, and I don't think ridding double is something I'd try today. I raced motocross in the early seventys to early eightys, and had bikes until my son was born. My wife wouldn't ride with me anymore, didn't want to leave a baby parent less, so I sold it. She talked about us getting a trike a few years ago, but I didn't want that so I bought a Corvette convertible, still have it too.
Keith Post and Scrumdown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:17 PM
KCW

Garage
Sounds similar to my experience. I purchased a new Yamaha IT175 in 1978, and rode it in the woods and on trails for most of my adult life. Sold it about 20 years ago. 5 Years ago I took the MSF course and got my license, and got my VS 650

<- photo in my garage page

also setup to ride solo. Put 28,000 miles on it so far, and loving every mile. 60 years old, in upstate NY.

I'm thinking of getting a bigger bike for longer rides, a 1300 like yours, maybe a Roadstar 1600, or I might get a FJR1300 sport touring bike, mostly for the fairing on the interstate.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-19-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 PM

Garage
Howdy. Took your bike for a test ride a few years ago. Lots of punch. Puckered my ass for the first few miles. Have fun - stay safe.
Keith Post likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 AM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. There are many of us that are return riders after a long layoff. I started a thread a week ago about how "mature" people were. Our site is experiencing some issues right now and the comments on some threads can not be seen, but here is the link.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ature-you.html

Ride safe and often.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 AM

Garage
Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Your story is similar to a lot of us returning riders. Glad you joined us and looking forward to seeing some pics of your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Your story is similar to a lot of us returning riders. Glad you joined us and looking forward to seeing some pics of your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TY, won't let me post pics of the bike. I was able to upload the avatar though. Just got in from a short ride and got caught in the rain, but it was worth it. Went to visit an old buddy biker friend, he's had bikes forever. He's got a Harley Fat Boy and a BMW full dresser. He likes long rides, trying to talk me into going with him from Central Il. to central Tenn in the middle of June. Had to pass on that, not ready for a long ride like that, don't know if I will ever be able to do that, plus I've got 3 small dogs, and won't leave them.
KCW likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Welcome from Houston, Texas. There are many of us that are return riders after a long layoff. I started a thread a week ago about how "mature" people were. Our site is experiencing some issues right now and the comments on some threads can not be seen, but here is the link.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ature-you.html

Ride safe and often.
TY I'll be 68 in a couple weeks, but I really don't know how mature I am. Been a motor head all my life. I was drag racing in the late 60s with a 67 then a 69 Camaro. Then raced motocross in the the early 70s to the early 80s, a long with my 73 Yamaha 650 Twin. Sold that for a Yamaha 750 twin, big mistake. Went through a divorce, in 80. Got remarried and bought a 650 Yamaha Maxim in 81, sold it in 87 after my son was born. My bride died a year ago last Friday. We talked about a bike a few years ago but she wanted a trike, and I didn't. She got cancer, had surgery in Nov of 15, so everything else stopped. I took care of her at home until she died, she was young too. 59 yrs old.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:31 PM
KCW

Garage
Charlie, you have been thru some rough times. I have realized that very many of the things that happen that affect us, are random events that we have no control over. All we can do is take whatever abilities and assets we have at our disposal, and make the best of the situations we find ourselves in.

I smiled when I read your comment about the 750 twin being a big mistake. I read about that bike having issues - apparently they made up for the mistakes on that bike with the 750 triple. I have never ridden a triple, but would not mind having one.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode