New member from Canada. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

New member from Canada.

Specifically Collingwood, Ontario, on the south shore of Georgian Bay, Lake Huron.

I am a "returning" rider, typical old guy (67) getting back to something I enjoyed in my youth.
I am purchasing a red 2014 V star 950 this afternoon, just got back from the bank and from buying a helmet, jacket, windshield and oil and filter.
Sorry, no photos yet, but it's red, and I'm sure you know what they look like!

I have never owned a cruiser before, just what I would call "standard" bikes, and I find the seating position odd, so low I feel I am sitting in a kid's seat. Fine for short people I suppose, but I am on the large side, 6 feet tall and 180lbs. Anyway, I damaged my left leg in a fall a year ago so I felt I needed a lower bike to make it easier to get on and off.
I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Another reason for choosing a cruiser was the torque; I did not want to have to change down two gears and wind the motor past 8,000rpm to get on the power band. So all in all, I am confident I've made the right choice.
Can't wait to get the ownership, insurance and plate, and go for a ride!
Elk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Garage
Welcome from the Maritimes, Simon, and congrats on the new ride. Glad you joined us. The 950 is a real nice bike. I'm sure some of our taller members here can recommend ways to make it more comfortable for you if you find it too constricting.

I got my 1100 a couple of years ago as my way back into biking. It was also my first cruiser and did take some getting used to, but now I love it. I'm a little shorter - 5'9 and it fits me perfectly. I call it my lazy boy on two wheels. lol Looking forward to some pics when you get her all dressed up!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:25 PM

Garage
Some of my favorite rides are up your way.

Enjoy the V-Star. Mine has served me well and I love the low and easy seating setup.

2012 V-Star 950
  • Ultimate Seats
  • K&N and Airbox Mod
  • V&H Twin Slash Slip-On
  • Cobra Fi2000r O2
  • National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags & Liners
  • National Cycle Paladin Backrest & Rack
  • Memphis Shades Drop-Top Fats
  • Memphis Shades Fork Deflector Lowers (mounted upside down)
  • Cobra Freeway Bar
  • Kuryakyn Kinetic Grips & Throttle Boss
  • Guardian Bell my nieces bought me in Waikiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:25 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Hope the weather has warmed up so you can get some riding in. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:15 AM

Garage
Welcome from Lower Ontario...London.. Congrats on getting back on a bike. I'm also 6' about 190 lbs and to adjust my 1300 I simply added an engine guard and highway pegs on the engine guard to extend my legs and be more comfortable. I find I flip out to the pegs pretty quick when riding just to be more comfortable and not cramped.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 AM

Garage
I'm not quite 5' 6"...71 yrs old. I am also an old guy getting back into motorcycling after a long absence. My 650 Classic fits me great so far. I don't have my bike licence yet. Years ago, I had the choice of paying the extra money to keep my bike licence. I regret not keeping it now. When I was riding, foot pegs were directly below the rider but the seats were a couple of inches higher. I did have an 83 Virago 920 cc model J which I rode a bit without a licence and the bike fit me perfectly. The 650 V-Star has foot pegs a bit more forward which feels strange but the seat is only 28 inches off the ground. I paid a ridiculously low price for my 650 Classic with windshield and luggage. From what I have read, the 950 is a great bike.
Elk likes this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic

Last edited by Dabluz; 05-17-2018 at 07:50 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies and the friendly welcome!

I think I would prefer to raise the suspension somehow, rather than move my feet. this would also give more cornering clearance - I don;t want to get the nickname "Sparky"!
I also am thinking about getting a narrower set of bars. the whole riding position just seems odd to me.

Perhaps just a matter of getting used to this type of bike.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dabluz!
(Guessing you enjoy a type of music originating in the Mississippi delta- I do too!)

I almost chose a 650, great looking bike and probably plenty of power for my needs, but I wasn't sure if I might want to do more highway riding in a few years, in which case the 950 would be more stable in the wake of a large truck and more relaxing at highway speeds.

The v star 650 seems like a great value for money.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 AM
KCW

Garage
I owned an off road (enduro) MC for most of my life.

Yes the one thing that is really different on cruiser bikes is: you cannot stand up on the foot pegs. Riding off road you are standing up as much as you are sitting.

takes some getting use to, but I like the riding position on my Vstar.

You can raise the seat up just a bit by cranking the monoshock preload up a notch or two. You will lose some of the high end on your shock when you bounce over a bump. The shock will be closer to the top, and the ride will be more stiff. If you have not checked it yet take a look, the previous owner may have it cranked down low.

Something else, if you have never ridden with a drivers backrest give it a try, or borrow someone's bike that has one. Once I put one on my bike there is no going back.

← see the photo of my bike with my trunk in my garage page.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonR View Post
Hi Dabluz!
(Guessing you enjoy a type of music originating in the Mississippi delta- I do too!)

I almost chose a 650, great looking bike and probably plenty of power for my needs, but I wasn't sure if I might want to do more highway riding in a few years, in which case the 950 would be more stable in the wake of a large truck and more relaxing at highway speeds.

The v star 650 seems like a great value for money.
Yes....I played blues music in bars for a while. I play guitar and harmonica. Our band was quite popular. At my age, I was concerned about the weight of the bike versus seat height. My wife does not want to ride so I don't really need more power. Here in Canada, maximum speed is 110 km/h. In the province of Quebec, the highest speed limit I have seen is 100 km/h (60 mph).
KCW likes this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode