2002 xvs650 fuel problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

2002 xvs650 fuel problem

Was running great. Thought was running out gas switched to reserve no difference. Pulled over had fuel will crank but barely ideal. Don't hear pump kicking in. Pump or relay? Filter? I pulled line off peacock plenty flow. How do I check pump or relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM
KCW

Garage
pull the fuel line from the pump to the carbs (it Tees off to both), open the petcock and turn on the ignition. The pump should run for 3 seconds when you first turn it on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I took off fuel pump. It wasn't coming on then after I got off it come on but not much pressure at all. I checked relay. Getting fire to the pump. Do the carbs just stop up all of a sudden? Never even sputtered till it quit. It'll crank but barely idol. Can't give it any throttle. Its basically my only means of transportation. I can't afford$90 a hour. I'm fairley mechanical. Just never worked on a bike before. Throw me some things to check out. I can put carb kit. Trouble shooting my downfall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:35 AM
KCW

Garage
You are saying the fuel pump was not working, then after you took it off it started working again - it is intermittent?

It only puts out a few PSI, its not like a 40psi pump for a fuel injected engine.

Normally when you turn on the key it runs for a few seconds while it tops off the float bowls and pumps them up to maybe 4 or 5 psi (off the top of my head). Then when the floats open and it needs more fuel, the fuel pump switches on and off as needed.

If you wire it directly to the battery 12V it should run all the time, and I would think if you are getting any flow its probably ok. Maybe there was a bad connection on the fuel pump circuit, or maybe something got sucked into the fuel pump. Make sure your bike has the inline fuel filter after the petcock. Sometimes they get plugged and people take them off, and never replace them.

Carbs should not just suddenly plug up unless you got bad gas - sometimes a big thunderstorm will run water into a gas station's tanks, and you end up with water in your fuel tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:52 PM

fuel bowl should have a drain screw. drain the bowls might be water in them. then turn the key on see if your getting fuel
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickdawg47 View Post
Was running great. Thought was running out gas switched to reserve no difference. Pulled over had fuel will crank but barely ideal. Don't hear pump kicking in. Pump or relay? Filter? I pulled line off peacock plenty flow. How do I check pump or relay
the pump or relay won't kick in when the carb bowls are full, if it barely idles try changing the filter if that doesn't work remove the bowl covers then remove the pilot jets clean them and reinstall everything, clogged pilots happens a lot on the 650 carb because the orifices are real small

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm gonna put new plugs in drain tank and change filter. Have a good Memorial Day. Be safe I'll let you know if works if not I'll be asking for next step. Thanks again. In a couple years maybe I'll be able help out someone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:43 AM
KCW

Garage
Mick, the way these forums work out, you posting your problems and questions and people helping you resolve the issues, is already helping other people.

Riders will be reading this thread for years, who have the same problem you do, and then they will know right away what they need to do to fix their bike.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode