New Rider - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New Rider

Greetings all...I picked up my first bike at the tail end of last riding season and am loving it so far. My dad waited until he was older to jump in on his first bike and seeing how much he loved it reminded me that I didn't have to wait that long. Mine is a 2002 Vstar 1100 Classic. Not the newest or nicest but I love her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BikePic.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	80708  
Keith Post, fd757 and Highwayman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I did the same last year. Mine is a Custom not a classic. I might be sad ab out not having the bigger front tire, but I love mine once I figured out some quirks. This is an amazing site with lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks. Greetings from Southern Oregon!!! Watch the regulator. If your battery bulges replace the regulator with a OEM part. Don't do ebay elcheapo's. I went through two batteries that bulged. I replaced the battery the first time because all of my readings were correct, then it did it again. Frustrated I bought an OEM regulator and drilled some holes in my regulator cover to try to keep it cool. So far it has worked.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by fd757; 05-25-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You know what's funny? A buddy of mine has a custom and I was just thinking that sometimes I like the look of that one better than the classic. Something about the smaller front fender looks super cool to me. TBH I really do like both styles though. Thanks for the reply!
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:48 PM

Garage
Welcome to the group.

Few helpful hints, especially on the 02, is get very familiar with the starting sequence and look at investing in a tach, diy manometer, and either new pms screws or a small screwdriver to keep the carb running smooth and have all the power there is available.

You'll love the bike by the way.

The starting trick: put in second gear, roll the bike back until it is fully engaged in 2nd, kick to neutral and hit the start button (operate choke as nec). Seems long and involved, but due to the design of the one way starter clutch and of the starter, it will potentially save you upwards of $500 and a weekend if you do it yourself or whatever the dealer will charge.
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:44 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forums from Atlantic Canada. I also have an 1100 and it's a great bike. To add to what AlphaOmega referred to about the starter clutch, NEVER give it any throttle when starting. It doesn't do anything to help start it and when the bike fires it will kick back. That will definitely destroy the starter clutch. Other than that, they're extremely reliable bikes. Mine's older than yours and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it anywhere.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
You know what's funny? A buddy of mine has a custom and I was just thinking that sometimes I like the look of that one better than the classic. Something about the smaller front fender looks super cool to me. TBH I really do like both styles though. Thanks for the reply!
I used to have the Custom. Hated the spoked wheels though. I thought the Classic rims should have been on the Custom.
Keith Post likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
Greetings all...I picked up my first bike at the tail end of last riding season and am loving it so far. My dad waited until he was older to jump in on his first bike and seeing how much he loved it reminded me that I didn't have to wait that long. Mine is a 2002 Vstar 1100 Classic. Not the newest or nicest but I love her.
Well.....I think it looks great. Ok....I find that the straight all black is a colour that is a bit too common but other than that, the bike looks great. I like the big front wheel. It balances out the big rear wheel. I have a 1999 V-Star 650 Classic with windshield and luggage. I love the 2 colour dark green and white. I just got back into riding after a long pause. I haven't kept up to date on bikes and the thinner front wheel seemed to look better but after looking at photos and checking out bikes on the internet, I now much prefer the bigger front wheels and fenders. The bike looks more solid and well balanced.
Keith Post likes this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I used to have the Custom. Hated the spoked wheels though. I thought the Classic rims should have been on the Custom.
My classic has spoked rims. I like the looks of them better than the cast ones, but it would be nice to run tubeless tires.

I did try on a custom when I was shopping for mine but it didn't feel 'right'. I prefer the look of the classic, but that's just me. Never had footboards before but I do like them. And I absolutely love the heel/toe shifter.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:50 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:14 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Nice intro and with a pic to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode