First Road Bike - '07 V-Star 1100 Classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By cwgaskill
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 1 Post By mikearc095
  • 1 Post By cwgaskill
  • 1 Post By nick57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

First Road Bike - '07 V-Star 1100 Classic

Stopping in to say hello, all. Juat purchased my first road bike yesterday. I is a 2007 V-Star 1100 Classic. Nice quality bike. The previous 2nd owner buoght used in Hawaii in 2015, moved to DC and never really raod her. He had to move to Chicago and had to let her go.

I got a great deal on her. Had to deice 200 milea from Norfolk to DC amd pick her up
Had the rental van, buy ramps, fight traffic late rental returns and unload her for.the first time. After all that, she's gonna be a keeper.

I look foward to learning about the bike and have the assistance of this forum. Went to the new users link and started to dowload manuals and read others posts.

If there's a place, I'll see of I can post photos of my bike.

later.
Keith Post, KCW and Diogenes415 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 AM
KCW

Garage
Very nice. How many miles are on the odo?

Has the bike been parked for a while (years?) and not run? was the gas tank full of fuel or empty while it was stored?

The only two things I can think of for a 10 year old bike that has not been used much, would be if the carbs might need to be cleaned, either by running something like Seafoam thru on a few tanks of gas (if the bike will run at all). If the bike wont run you might need to take the carbs off and clean out the jets.

The other thing is to check the tires carefully. If the bike has less than 10,000 miles they are most likely the original tires (11 or 12 years old now). If the looked cracked they wont have good traction and will wear out pretty quick. Look for the DOT impression pushed into the sidewalls, the last numbers after the letters DOT are the week and year the tires were made. For example DOT *-hYef 0817 would be the 8th week of 2017.

Do you have your license? If not, I cannot recommend strongly enough to take the MSF beginners riding course. They will let you ride a 250 Honda rebel or other similar bike for three days, and unless you are totally not cut out to ride a motorcycle you will get your license at the end of the three day course. They run about $250 to $300 - which will be paid for the first time you do not drop your bike. I took the course 5 years ago to get my license before I bought a street bike, and the skills I learned have saved me from wrecking my MC... Ive lost count of how many times now.

The other thing I feel obliged to tell you: if this is your first motorcycle and you are going to get your permit and practice, the one thing that many people do not know is a motorcycle steers backwards. When you get up over 20mph, when you want the bike to turn to the right, you PUSH on the right handgrip, the bike leans to the right, pushes back against your hand, and the bike turns to the right. When you want to stop turning you let off the pressure and the bike straightens out.

A LOT of people get motorcycles and are ok steering around the parking lot like a bicycle, but when they get to the first wide sweeping curve on the road, like the exit ramp on the highway, they try to steer it like a car, turn (twist) the handlebars to the right, and the bike goes to the left: The End!

Its called counter steering, and that is exactly what it means - if you treat the handlebars like a steering wheel , the bike steers backwards. If you don't remember anything else from this forum, this one thing will save your life.

BTW, congratulations on getting the bike home. Pushing a big bike like a Vstar 1100 up the ramps into a rental truck is quite an accomplishment, and getting it back down is not any easier. In the future if you need to transport your bike, there are trailers you can rent that are designed for MCs. They are lower to the ground, and have a channel for the tires to sit in.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-26-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:57 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I ride an 1100 also, great bikes. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:53 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I also ride an 1100 classic. Great overall bikes. Mine's a 2000 and no one believes me unless I show them the tag on the gooseneck. The style is ageless and the reliability is the best in the business. You're really gonna love it.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:39 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, I also have an 08 1100 and as mentioned the 1100 is a great bike. Lots of good folks and info here. Post those pics when you can.
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouraging words and links.
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:09 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list here is everything you should know about the 1100
Keith Post likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:55 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Iím also looking forward to seeing some pics of your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode