Total noobie - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Total noobie

Hey everyone! I discovered motorcycling 3 weeks ago while camping with a friend and his family. My friend's father brought dirt bikes and I had never been for no real reason. I had done other motor sports like atv and snowmobiling and I ride a bicycle fairly often but for some reason never tried a motorcycle. A quick set of instructions and I was off. I immediately feel in love with the sensation and motion of riding. Fast forward to now, I got my endorsement and a beautiful 2013 V-Star 950 with 7000 miles and a scheduled MSF class. I rode several bikes of similar demeanor but in the end I loved the V Star the most. Excited to be here in this forum and learn from all the experts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 AM

Garage
And that's just how addictive it can be lol. Welcome from Atlantic Canada Jeff. The 950 is a great choice and you found the best place to learn about your new ride and share tips and experiences with other like minded motorcycle addicts. There's no 12 step program here - no one wants to be cured. Good call on the MSF course too. We love pics here so post one of your new baby when you get a chance!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 AM
KCW

Garage
you could be our poster-rider for how to do everything right.

For a new rider the single most important thing for you to know, when you get going on a street bike and you come to a curve, motorcycles steer backwards. I could explain why in about a paragraph, but its easier for you to just try it and see. When you are going over 20mph push the right grip forward and the bike will lean and turn to the right.

Its called counter steering and a lot of new riders get on a bike and ride around in the parking lot, and then on the first big sweeping curve on the road they try to steer like a car, and end up crossing the center line or going off the road.

They will explain it all in the MSF course. till then have fun and take your time on your new machine.
Scrumdown likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:20 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome from Sunny N. Florida. There are a lot of good people on here if you have any questions about your bike or about riding in general they will be happy to help.

KCW hit a good point about counter steering. If you have already gone through curves you did it without thinking. I would practice using it so you can avoid rorad hazards faster. Once you use it so much it becomes second nature.

On your 950 be careful because you can scrape the floorboards very easy. Don't let it scare you just be aware of it. After awhile you will get used to moving your body so the bike can be more upright in turns and curves so if you do not want to scrape them you wont.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:47 AM

Garage
Welcome to fun, relaxing, therapy, big ear-to-ear grin land. Riding a MC is all those things. This forum has loads of great info. Please ask any question you have. The truly only dumb question is the one you do not ask.
Yamaha Pat likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

since you're new to the 950, let me give you a bit of a history lesson:

the 950 was originally conceptualized and designed through a collaboration between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. since these 2 publicly hated each other, their teamwork had to be kept secret. when their design was completed, they determined that the world was not yet ready for such a masterpiece. Albert Einstein once visited Tesla and this 950 project was then revealed to him under the promise that Einstein would only use such information for good, and never for evil. upon viewing the plans, Einstein was inspired to come up with his theory of relativity. he notated in his diary about his experience and vowed to never tell anyone about the 950 as he agreed that the world was just not ready for it yet. Yamaha founder Genichi Kawakami was an apprentice of Einstein in the early 50s. upon Einstein's deathbed, he bestowed upon his apprentice the revelation of the v star 950 and instructed him to find his diary which included full details and plans which he had memorized and copied down from what he learned from Tesla. after Einstein's death, Kawakami was so inspired by the v star 950 that he decided to create Yamaha just 3 months later with the hope that one day he would have the technology to fully realize the dream of the 950 and that the world might be ready for it. work on the 950 began immediately, but 47 years later, it had still not been completed yet when Kawakami passed away in 2002. but Yamaha kept on with the project, knowing that the 950 was too important for mankind and must be completed soon. then, in 2008, the v star 950 was completed and released upon the world. the rest is history.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the greetings and early advice! I don't know forum very well on the mobile so not sure how to quote everyone however, I'll try to respond with my memory.

First let me say, I am usually a very cautious individual when it come to new things, I like to learn a lot about it and understand the intricacies so with that said, I would love to be the poster child for getting it right, lol, that seems like my style.

Countersteering is an interesting concept that I have experienced a little in my rides so far. Fortunately riding down hill mountain biking has made that concept pretty natural for me. What was more challenging a couple of times was getting to the right speed to make 90 degree turns (a couple pretty WIDE turns were had at first) now I have just been fair conservative with my speed and been okay the last few rides. I am hoping the MSF course will critique my style and help me improve. I also noticed when leaning into a turn fairly hard my floorboards were mighty close to the pavement, thanks for the mention I'll make sure to not freak out if it makes contact now knowing it is just a low set bike.

As for a bike picture, when I am back in town on Monday, I'll make sure to grab a picture and share!

As I have been looking at accessories, I am wondering if anyone has had success with convertable/transforming sissy bars that can act as a driver backreat and then convert to a passenger backrest?
Scrumdown likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
since you're new to the 950, let me give you a bit of a history lesson:

the 950 was originally conceptualized and designed through a collaboration between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. since these 2 publicly hated each other, their teamwork had to be kept secret. when their design was completed, they determined that the world was not yet ready for such a masterpiece. Albert
Einstein once visited Tesla and this 950 project was then revealed to him under the promise that Einstein would only use such information for good, and never for evil. upon viewing the plans, Einstein was inspired to come up with his theory of relativity. he notated in his diary about his experience and vowed to never tell anyone about the 950 as he agreed that the world was just not ready for it yet. Yamaha founder Genichi Kawakami was an apprentice of Einstein in the early 50s. upon Einstein's deathbed, he bestowed upon his apprentice the revelation of the v star 950 and instructed him to find his diary which included full details and plans which he had memorized and copied down from what he learned from Tesla. after Einstein's death, Kawakami was so inspired by the v star 950 that he decided to create Yamaha just 3 months later with the hope that one day he would have the technology to fully realize the dream of the 950 and that the world might be ready for it. work on the 950 began immediately, but 47 years later, it had still not been completed yet when Kawakami passed away in 2002. but Yamaha kept on with the project, knowing that the 950 was too important for mankind and must be completed soon. then, in 2008, the v star 950 was completed and released upon the world. the rest is history.

OMG, lol!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Congratulations on your new ride. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the links, I of course went and answered all the surveys because I find that information fascinating.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode