Rules say I have to post - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Rules say I have to post

I have a 2004 Yamaha vstar 650 that I do enjoy yet looking to move up. Also, I will most likely keep the 650. First observation of this forum? I find it incredibly weird that this site has a more stringent password requirement than any of my banks, investment sites, or work login.
Keith Post and Elk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 PM
KCW

Garage
I have the same bike, a 2005 classic 650

what bikes are you looking at for something bigger?

Ive had mine for 5 years, 30,000 miles. Im thinking Roadstar, Roadliner (love carb'ed bikes with pushrods!)

or maybe a VS 1300, or something just for the highway like an FJR-1300
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Welcome, I love to hear your thoughts as you check out the different bikes.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Hahaha, "rules say I have to post"... ah Darlage, you're such a requirements drama queen.

Fellow members, this is the old friend whose XVS650 I've mentioned before, the one he bought back in Autumn and is also the dude who roped me in to doing that Indian demo ride.
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:51 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Darlage! Love to see some pics of your 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Hahaha, "rules say I have to post"... ah Darlage, you're such a requirements drama queen.

Fellow members, this is the old friend whose XVS650 I've mentioned before, the one he bought back in Autumn and is also the dude who roped me in to doing that Indian demo ride.
lol, I am always dramatic. Also, I think I sent you a link to a video where I am unsure of my engine. It kinda now sounds like my MR2 did before that engine when poof!

Hello Everyone!

I am looking at the following bikes: Indian Scout and 60, Honda Phantom(most likely not though), Yamaha Bolt, Striker, 950, 1100,1300, Vulcan S, VULCAN 900 CUSTOM and Victory Octane.

I love the way the Scout looks yet for whatever reason I didnt enjoy the drive. I think that could be racked up to having a shit week up to that point, hating the guy leading the ride as he almost killed half of us in a span of 3 minutes, and having a job interview while at the dealership. There is another event near me at the end of July so I am going to give it a go again(more than welcome to come with Jens) and Yamaha has one I think they said in August or September. Just need to find out when Kawasaki has one and I should be able to have this all wrapped up.

Sadly,, right now i am kinda struggling in what I want as I basically just want a faster version of my 650 so if anyone has ridden any of the above i would love to hear how they specifically compared to the vstar in the below areas

1) Seating position
2) Accelaration to 60.
3) Highway driving from 60-80 specifically vibration and ability to accelarate.
4) How it handles twisties and flickability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I also threw in a pic of my dogs as they are awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161004_221300.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	81038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180219_161557.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	81040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180219_161452.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	81042  

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-24-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add a bike
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 PM

Boomer is such the alpha... when it comes to cameras anyway.

I'll have to say when it comes to 'new' bikes I would go with the Scout Bobber. Right out of the box it has the feel and mannerisms I can appreciate. It's naked, has that raw no BS 'in the wind' feel I like and revs low at highways speeds so it'll do long hauls without feeling frenzied. That's my take based on limited experiences with the bikes you've mentioned. But then we're physically a little different.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 06-24-2018 at 11:37 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... Also, I think I sent you a link to a video where I am unsure of my engine. It kinda now sounds like my MR2 did before that engine when poof! ...
Dude, I didn't get the vid but that's not surprising since I turn off all data transfer... it's enough that I answer friggin text messages on a phone that in my day was used for actually talking to people... yeah voice and crap... no reading messages as though we were in the Victorian age sending each other letters. What's the next backward trend, sending Morse code via smart phones?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:20 AM

Garage
Not sure how much help I can be as I've never ridden a 650, but I have an 1100 so I'll give you my impressions of that. Overall it's a great bike, but I would prefer a little more oomph for two up highway riding. Not that it can't handle it, I just want something that will lope along a little easier at speed with me, the wife, and a couple of days luggage (maybe just a personal thing). If you just ride solo, it works excellent around town or on the highway. It seems happiest between 50 - 65 on two lane roads.

So, as to your points:

1) Seating position is very good. I'm 5'9 and recently added a set of 4.5" risers, which improved it greatly. As you know from your 650, the stock seats themselves kinda suck, but otherwise I'm happy with it.
2)Acceleration to 60 is quick and solid. I usually shift into 5th around 55 and she pulls hard up to 70 - 75 if you want it.
3)On the highway she cruises easily at 75 and there's lots left in reserve. I've looked down while riding with some friends on Harleys and was surprised to see I was passing 90. It does get slightly buzzy over 80, but it's not that bad and I've grown used to it. ISO grips helped somewhat with that.
4)I'm not aggressive in the twisties, but I do like to lean into corners and have dragged the floorboards a time or two. It feels light and is easy to throw around if you want, but it isn't a sport bike so it does have its limits.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your search!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode