Apparently I now own a VStar 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Apparently I now own a VStar 1300

Hello everybody. I have been riding for 4 decades and was recently given a 2007 VStar 1300 with 32.0 miles. (Literally 32.0 Miles) I will introduce myself here and see if I can get some help on the first issue, then I will scour the site looking for the help I need and probably post this issue again in the appropriate forum.

My friend bought it, got into an accident in his truck before he even got the pipes changed out. It has been sitting in his garage/carport ever since and he has finally decided to just get rid of it. Health issues are getting him down and having to walk around it everyday really bums him out. I want to get it running and either sell it or use it around town. He wont take any money. But, his wife works for me, so I might sneak it into her paycheck if I do sell it.

He tinkers with it all the time. keeps the oil and gas fresh and battery charged, and does "stuff" to it. (i think he bobbed the fender over the weekend) It starts right up, and here is my issue...It won't go into gear. Kickstand was up, clutch pulled, push shift lever down... Instantly stalls and jerks forward. I don't think it is a kill switch since it jerks. If I remember the SECA I had in the 90s, I had bypassed a couple of kill switches. I took as much slack out of the adjuster on the lever as I could, but, I wasn't able to do any diagnosis in the driveway because he gets tired very fast and we had already been talking for a while in the heat of the day before I tried to ride off. He has no recollection of doing any work, but the bike has had some love. ( straight pipes and "hyper charger fuel injection system". I am going to trailer it home unless it is something silly.

I'll worry about tires and gas etc after I get it off his porch. So...3 things. 1. The issue above. 2. Anything else I need to address before enjoying it? 3. what value do you think it has?

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to get her back on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr lotts vstar.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	81418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr lotts vstar with hypercharger fuel system.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	81420  
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:09 PM
KCW

Garage
no problem with the bike: breath in, breath out and smile!

the clutch plates are hydrolocked from sitting engaged for so long. Its like there is a vacuum between the fluid and it does not want to release.

Take the bike out on the street, start it up in neutral, let it warm up for minute. Then push (duck walk) it up to about 5mph in neutral still, pull in the clutch and shift up into 2nd gear. The bike should keep going even though it will jerk into gear.

work the clutch in and out a few times, and then with the clutch pulled in, give it some gas, let it off hard, give it some gas, let it off... keep in mind the bike will be powering itself down the street while you are doing this, like its in 2nd gear with the clutch engaged.

that should break the hydro lock loose.

My yamaha dirt bike use to do this when I let it sit for a long time, Perfectly normal, nothing is wrong.

Last edited by KCW; 07-16-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

You are the best @KCW. I figured it was something easy, but sometimes I can't even figure out what to ask. I've never even heard of something like this. I tried Barn find, stored long time, abandoned, etc. Thank you! I will try it tomorrow.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

Last edited by claudec32; 07-16-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: It is 2018, i should not assume that KCW is a man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM
KCW

Garage
Couple things I would check before you start riding it:

1. the oil. If he has memory issues make sure the oil is up to the proper level. If the bike is low on oil dont drive it. If the bike has not been used in 12 years (2007 came out in 2006) I dont know if he ever changed it, but oil does degrade over the years just from sitting. Unless you can be sure the oil is less than a year old, I would change it and the filter.

2. the gas: I dont know how he kept it fresh as you said, but gas degrades even faster - after just a few months it can start to gunk up the carbs or fuel injectors, so I would drain the tank and put fresh gas in it, then add 4 ounces of SeaFoam (from walmart auto section), which will help clean out any fuel gunk that might be in the tank or injectors.

3. when you drain the gas tank look inside it from the filler cap with a flash light - if it was not kept full all the time, there is a good chance the inside of the gas tank is rusted. If it is tell us - that will be a problem because the rust could get through the fuel filter and into the carbs/injectors of a bike that has not been used.

As far as the value, its still a 12 year old motorcycle even though it was never ridden. Shock, shaft, brake... seals dry out and will leak after several years. If the engine was not run at all there could be rust on the cylinder walls and other internal parts. One would think a bike with no miles on the odo should be just like new, but that is not always the case. Goto one of the websites that gives the price for used motorcycles, and enter yours as 'excellent condition'. Motorcycles depreciate in value quickly, so it might only be valued at $3k to $4k because of its age.

The good news is a Vstar 1300 is an excellent motorcycle. I hope you find a way to repay him, esp if as I seem to be reading he has some issues thinking clearly. Talk to his wife privately and assure her that you do not want to take advantage of his generosity at the risk of taking advantage of his bad fortune.

Last edited by KCW; 07-16-2018 at 06:26 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I ride an 1100 and can't help much on running issue. My bike had been sitting for years before I bought it with only 1700 miles on it. What worked well for me was to follow the recommended maintenance but used time schedule not the miles. I litterly changed every fluid, oil, brake, fork, differential, etc. I took every electrical connection apart that I could get to, checked for corrosion and put some dielectric grease in connections. Replaced tires and brakes. I flushed gas tank, fuel lines and rebuilt carbs. I'm sure there were other things I did and other members will probably chime in. It was a lot of work but have gotten years of use without any major issues. If you post your questions in the Vstar forum, https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...splay.php?f=49
You will get more exposure.

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Couple things I would check before you start riding it:

1. the oil. If he has memory issues make sure the oil is up to the proper level. If the bike has not been used in 12 years (2007 came out in 2006) I dont know if he ever changed it, but oil does degrade over the years just from sitting. Unless you can be sure the oil is less than a year old, I would change it and the filter.

2. the gas: I dont know how he kept it fresh as you said, but gas degrades even faster - after just a few months it can start to gunk up the carbs or fuel injectors, so I would drain the tank and put fresh gas in it, then add 4 ounces of SeaFoam (from walmart auto section), which will help clean out and fuel gunk that might be in the tank or injectors.

3. when you drain the gas tank look inside it from the filler cap with a flash light - if it was not kept full all the time, there is a good chance the inside of the gas tank is rusted. If it is tell us - that will be a problem because the rust could get through the fuel filter and into the carbs/injectors of a bike that has not been used.

As far as the value, its still a 12 year old motorcycle even though it was never ridden. Shock, shaft, brake... seals dry out and will leak after several years. If the engine was not run at all there could be rust on the cylinder walls and other internal parts. One would think a bike with no miles on the odo should be just like new, but that is not always the case. Goto one of the websites that gives the price for used motorcycles, and enter yours as 'excellent condition'. Motorcycles depreciate in value quickly, so it might only be valued at $3k to $4k because of its age.

The good news is a Vstar 1300 is an excellent motorcycle. I hope you find a way to repay him, esp if as I seem to be reading he has some issues thinking clearly. Talk to his wife privately and assure her that you do not want to take advantage of his generosity at the risk of taking advantage of his bad fortune.
KCW, you are fast. All good points.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
KCW

Garage
the best way to understand hydrolocking: put a dime on the table, lick your finger and push it down hard on the dime, then lift your finger up in the air.

you just violated the law of gravity by picking up a metal disk from the top! Not really - the atoms of the liquid are pressed into such a small space that air cannot get in.

Motorcycles have wet clutches, soaking in the oil bath. It is normal for a bike just sitting overnight, to slightly hydrolock the clutch - you start it up in neutral, pull in the clutch, shift into first gear, and the bike goes CLUNK and jumps forward just a bit - the plate will stick just slightly overnight. After a few months they can be stuck pretty good. This is one of the reasons they do not use oil bath clutches on cars. If you parked the car for year, and the clutch locked like this, you cannot duck walk your car up to 10mph to pop the transmission into second gear, then load the engine up with the clutch in. Shifting a car into first gear and having it lurch forward (like a motorcycle) could be very dangerous.

BTW there is one serious problem that no one has found a solution for. The first time you take the bike for a ride, you will not be able to get the smile off your face for a week!

Last edited by KCW; 07-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 PM

I am really looking forward to following this thread. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Keith Post, Elk and KCW like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee, and you included some pics, impressive! I canít add much more in suggestions, see why we have the smartest members and best Motorcycle forum going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
no problem with the bike: breath in, breath out and smile!

the clutch plates are hydrolocked from sitting engaged for so long. Its like there is a vacuum between the fluid and it does not want to release.

Take the bike out on the street, start it up in neutral, let it warm up for minute. Then push (duck walk) it up to about 5mph in neutral still, pull in the clutch and shift up into 2nd gear. The bike should keep going even though it will jerk into gear.

work the clutch in and out a few times, and then with the clutch pulled in, give it some gas, let it off hard, give it some gas, let it off... keep in mind the bike will be powering itself down the street while you are doing this, like its in 2nd gear with the clutch engaged.

that should break the hydro lock loose.

My yamaha dirt bike use to do this when I let it sit for a long time, Perfectly normal, nothing is wrong.
I'll have to remember this for future bike I will get that get ride twice after purchase and left in the garage.
Keith Post likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode