Hello! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Talking Hello!

Hi everyone, new female motorcyclist here. I just got my endorsement last Friday via the MSF course and purchased a 2018 V-Star 250. I am a vertically challenged individual with a 25.5 inseam and was going to go for a 2018 Honda Rebel (500 was the plan), but found the V-Star to be oh so much more comfortable, especially for my stature. I love my new ride, now if I can get more comfortable with actually riding it (slow speed stuff mostly, I can rock over 10 mph... so far).

Nice to meet everyone!!
Keith Post, Elk and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Welcome to the forum from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post and EleArt like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:37 AM
KCW

Garage
MSF course! Nicely done.

above 20 mph a motorcycle is self balancing, you just counter steer to make the bike go where you want it to go.

At lower speeds you have to steer and balance the bike - that takes practice, and your mind has to switch modes, because you steer the bike in the direction you want it to go, and balance it with your body position, slipping the clutch to control the speed of the bike, and turning your head to look where you want to go, because thats just how it works.

Now that you have your license you can practice and put your foot down whenever you need to - you wont get a ticket for putting your foot down while riding slow, but being able to ride at 2mph with your feet on the pegs is something to shoot for.

VS 250 is a nice bike - we dont see too many here, and never have people asking questions about how to fix them, because they are incredibly reliable.

BTW, what part of Earth are you presently occupying?

Last edited by KCW; 07-27-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips KCW. It's funny, I thought the same thing about putting my foot down after I got my endorsement, but know I can't let it form into a habit since it's not helping me. I ride it around on my street when there aren't a lot of cars around that I can hit. I stay in the driveway for a while because finding the friction zone on this is a little weird (compared to my vast experience... the old Rebel 250 they had me on at the MSF). Seems like the FZ was closer to the bar on the Rebel, on the VStar, I'm almost full out on the clutch. I tried adjusting the cable yesterday, it seemed to help a little bit but think I need to play with it some more. Now, it seems to chug at all times in 1st, either while practicing slow maneuvers or when getting up to speed to shift into 2nd.

I am in upstate NY. I always preface NY with "upstate" otherwise everyone immediately thinks New York City and I am no fan of that area, especially driving anything. No offense to anyone that might reside there... just too many people for my tastes.

Good to hear that the 250 is so reliable. I typically don't get along with small gas engine anything. I can't even have a gas lawn mower, top mechanics can't fix what I've been able to do them after my first year.
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:04 AM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada and to the wonderfully addictive world of motorcycling. As KCW mentioned, you picked a good reliable bike to start out on and this is the best forum I've ever been a part of. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and you'll get plenty of friendly, helpful responses. I've never seen the old standby 'that's been answered before - do a search' on here.

And we love pics here so post a pic of your new ride when you get a chance!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:26 AM
KCW

Garage
We are somewhat neighbors - Im just a bit south east of Rochester. Upstate NY is a wonderful place to ride a motorcycle!

The Rebel bikes they use for the MSF course have a very wide and soft friction zone. You got use to that in the class. Vstar bikes (all of them) have a much narrower friction zone when it comes to how far the lever actually moves.

you can get a different clutch lever to make it more like the Rebel, but you dont really need to - you will get use to the one on your bike quickly.

Dont think about how far the lever is moving - think of it more as the amount of pressure you are using to hold it in. As you relax the pressure on the level the clutch will start to engage and pull the bike - focus on the feel (pressure) and the pull of the bike.

as long as the lever has 1/4" of free play you can adjust it in further if you want, but that wont make the friction zone any wider, it just moves it closer to the grip.

If you feel like the bike is lugging in 1st gear sometimes its possible you only kicked it down into 2nd. Always downshift while the bike is still moving - kicking down into 1st is easier at 10 to 15mph than it is a 3mph or less. If you try to shift down after the bike has stopped there are some gear positions where they hit teeth to teeth and it wont shift - then you need to slip the clutch a bit to get the gears to creep slightly so they line up. Shifting down before you stop is easier.

Losing track of which gear you are in is common on a motorcycle. My 650 has 5 gears, but I joke that sometimes it has 6, and 6th gear is exactly the same as 5th (because I lose track and keep kicking it up).

When you shift down the gears sound all the same, but from 2nd to 1st it has a slightly different clunk, and after a while you will recognize that sound.

Going back to the pressure you put on the clutch lever, that is true for all the controls on the MC (and for cars too). When you put pressure on the throttle to twist it up, its like a giant hand is putting pressure on the back of the bike to push it faster down the road. Same with the brakes to slow the bike down - same with countersteering to lean and steer the bike around curves. You apply pressure to the controls, which gets amplified and applied to the bike itself.

Last edited by KCW; 07-27-2018 at 10:30 AM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM

Welcome to the site.

Just keep practicing (especially the slow stuff...or anything you feel less comfortable about) and it will eventually become a second nature reaction and not something you have to process in your mind.

Enjoy your new ride and be safe.

Brad
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
Hi Eleart!
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. You’ve gotten some great advice from our awesome members, so I can’t really add that much. Please share some pics with us and we’re glad you joined us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EleArt likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

This seems like a fantastic group, I'm so happy I joined. Thank you all for the warm welcome!!
Keith Post and Yamaha Pat like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Elk

Welcome from Colorado !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode