Hi from Ontario - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi from Ontario

Hello!

My name is Adam and I live in Ottawa, Ontario. I've been riding motorcycles since 2003. My first bike was a 1995 Kawasaki EX500 I rode for 2 years. My last bike was an 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T which I bought brand new, rode for 10 years and sold 2 years ago. I was recently gifted a 2008 Vstar 1100 Classic from my father. It's been heavily modified cosmetically. More than you'd think necessary for the very low amount of Km's on the odo. It was also put away wet and had been sitting in storage for 3 years. Needless to say, there is/was a lot of work to do to get it running which I started work on last week. So far I've cleaned out the carbs, resolved a rusty gas tank and changed the oil. It started up on second try but had a hard time idling without the choke on. I would turn the choke down and it would stall out so I left idling with the choke partially on to burn the gunk out. It's seems to be getting better and hopefully sitting for a couple days with Seafoam in the fresh fuel that's been run through it will help more. I've also increased the idle speed a bit so now it will idle with the choke off and was even able to ride it (first gear only) around the front (gravel) laneway.

I have a few questions to ask but can't yet post in the other sections of the site. What do I have to do to post elsewhere?

Failing that, I"m going to ask my first question here. In my profile, I've uploaded a picture of my handlebars looking down. They are crooked. My Dad confessed he dropped it once at a low speed. I'm guessing that's how they became the way they are now. I loosened the riser bolts and retightened them but it didn't help. The triple and the front wheel are inline so I do not believe the forks are bent. The bars are T-bar drag bars so don't use a separate riser. They bolt directly to the triple. Are they bent or is there some other possible issue causing this? I live about 2hrs from my Dad's which is where the bike currently is so I can't go out and check at my leisure. Once i get it running solid, I'll ride it back home where I can attened to the smaller details that need attention. I'm mostly looking for idea of what to check for when I do get back down there and can do some more work on it. I"m sure I can ride it with the crooked bars, but they will drive me batty everytime I look down.

thanks in advance.
Keith Post likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:20 AM
KCW

Garage
my brother dropped my dirt bike and sprained his ankle (years ago). He bent the handlebars about an inch up on one side.

I couldnt stand my nice new IT175 being.. deformed. I bought new handlebars for it.

sounds like you are doing all the right things to the bike - post photos when you can.

the VS1100 is a great bike.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:14 PM

Garage
Hi Adam!
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I agree that it appears youíre doing all the right things to get it back on the road. Sounds like you may have to go with a new pair of handlebars. Canít wait to see some pics of your new to you bike. Glad you joined us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:02 PM

Garage
Welcome from the Maritimes, Adam. It sounds like you're on the right track but I have to agree with the others that you'll probably need to replace those handlebars. Now that you've posted in the new member forum you'll be able to post in other forums. Love to see some pics too!
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcome. Actually, its comforting to know the consensus is bent bars since those are easily replaceable. Too bad though because they were nice looking. However, I wouldnt mind some with a bit more pull back anyway. Maybe mini apes or even the stock bars. Tough call.
Keith Post likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Does sound like new bars will fix the issue. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here some pics of the work in progress.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AzAxkLU2uGTtTkT57
Keith Post, brickdoctor and EleArt like this.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
Great looking bike. Looks like good progress getting it road worthy.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. It looks better than its condition is. In additon to having been dropped and given bent bars and also sitting wet in storage for three years filling with gas rot and rust, it looks like someone spray painted nearby as there is fine white mist covering all the top surfaces. Good news is that elbow grease and some thinner takes it off. More serious, after reading some threads about clunking, Im thinking that the previous owner...yes..my Dad.... Did not know about not revving it when starting and think the starter clutch may be worn. Needs more diagnoses. Iirc, the clunk heppens when it stalls out, or almost stalls out before i blip the throttle, but not so much on start up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode