hello - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

hello

VStar owner since 2007 and was looking at a Yamaha 2014 Stratoliner and had some questions and looking for help along those lines. I had a 2007 VStar 650 that I started on and then upgraded to a VStar 950 2011 and now looking for more power. Took a 2014 Stratoliner for a ride and liked the balance, height, seat, etc. It fit me pretty well overall except for the shifter was a little farther out than I would like, but everything else felt better than my 950.

The stratoliner has 15k miles and a nice red color. The problem I kept having with it was the shifting. I when shifting down it was kinda jump into a neautral between gears and just didn't feel right to me. The more I road it, the more it did it. I got back to the dealership and mentioned it and he said he would have his guys look at it. I called today and he said a number of them went out on it and it was fine and you have to jump on the shifter to shift it down because its a 1900.

I know I said the shifter was out farther than I would like, but I know I tried hitting the shifter down hard and didn't make a difference. It would like skip into a neutral and if you kept stomping on it, it wouldn't do anything and then would eventually go. As far as I know, I was hitting the shifter enough when pressing down on it and just didn't seem right to me.

Wondering what others have seen that own these bikes? Are they smooth and down shift nicely? I can't imagine that you have to me more rough simply because it is a 1900. Wondering what others have to say?

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:10 PM

Welcome to the forum from Sacramento, Ca. I have a 2010 Strat and have not had that problem but every bike has has its differences.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 AM

Garage
One of the things I love about my Raider is the extremely smooth shifting. Up and down the gears. No jumping gears.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 AM
KCW

Garage
sorry if this is an obvious question: where you shifting the bike down while it was still moving? Still rolling at 15mph or faster?

The way the transmissions are designed with straight cut gears they need to be shifted while the output gear to the drive shaft/pulley is spinning (while the bike is still rolling).

On my 650 I usually have no problem shifting, but sometimes I get a little soft on the lever and miss a shift, or it jumps back from 5th to 4th. Im pretty sure its all me - but the point is you get very much in tune with shifting your own bike, and you do it subconsciously - then when you ride a different bike, if it takes another 10lbs of push on the lever it just does not feel right.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I was moving every time. I found one post that sounded similar and he said it was fixed and that it was a shift detent spring or something. I think there is something wrong with it and probably not buying it which sucks because I liked the bike and the color. But I don't want a headache. I can't believe they shift that poorly!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:51 PM
KCW

Garage
none of us can ride the bike to give you our opinion
but I think you made the right choice

always listen to that little voice in the back of your head - if its telling you something is not right, then it wont cost you anything to keep looking for another bike - but if you ignore that intuitive feeling and end up buying something because you wanted to force it to be a good deal, then you could end up very sorry

and then that little voice will nag you forever 'I told you so!.....' :^O
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode