Stratoliner engine vibration help! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Stratoliner engine vibration help!

My bike has 29000 miles and recently developed a vibration that intensifies with increased rpms. It does it in neutral stationary and in motion while driving. I start to notice it around 2300 rpms and it gets real bad around 3000 and up. The local dealer basically says he will bill me a fortune taking the bike apart to find it. Aside from the vibration the bike seems to run fine and no check engine light. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

To clarify it is a 2007 stratoliner s.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Garage
Have you checked the motor mount bolts? Years ago I had a motor mount bolt back off, just one, and motor would start to shake and certain RPMs. Keep us informed.
bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Have you checked the motor mount bolts? Years ago I had a motor mount bolt back off, just one, and motor would start to shake and certain RPMs. Keep us informed.
The mounts seem pretty darn tight I just checked them.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 PM
KCW

Garage
does this bike have one of the 1600 or 1700 engines that can have the final drive pulley bolt/nut come loose?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Someone suggested this to me at a dealer. Would the fact that it vibrates in neutral as well rule a loose front drive pulley out?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Garage
Our definition of "real bad" may be different. Where is the vibration? From the engine, the handlebars or ? If you're going to look into it yourself it may be as simple as changing the oil to a different weight and making sure it's topped off. Or possibly something is seriously loose, so I'd check steering, pulleys, floorboards and such. If you can't solve the problem, I would consider finding another shop to diagnose the problem. It could be a number of issues, but a good mechanic should be able to figure the probable issue by riding it. There are so may crappy shops and dealer mechanics out there, so it may take a bit to find one with the right vibe. Good luck!
Here are a few tips.

https://www.writteninchrome.com/view...ons-for-Riders
bevo1981 likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
Our definition of "real bad" may be different. Where is the vibration? From the engine, the handlebars or ? If you're going to look into it yourself it may be as simple as changing the oil to a different weight and making sure it's topped off. Or possibly something is seriously loose, so I'd check steering, pulleys, floorboards and such. If you can't solve the problem, I would consider finding another shop to diagnose the problem. It could be a number of issues, but a good mechanic should be able to figure the probable issue by riding it. There are so may crappy shops and dealer mechanics out there, so it may take a bit to find one with the right vibe. Good luck!
Here are a few tips.

https://www.writteninchrome.com/view...ons-for-Riders
Hi there. Thanks for the tips. What I meant was the bike had smooth power and no noticeably concerning vibrations before and now it is making it to where I donít even want to ride it because the vibration is so uncomfortable. I just changed the oil and followed the correct procedures for doing so. I also checked that it was topped off. Not sure if maybe I should switch to a synthetic? I guess I can start checking every single bolt one by one to make sure nothing is loose.

Any possibility there is a bushing that could have gone bad on a motor mount, and even though it seems tight it is causing vibration? Thatís assuming they arenít solid mounts. Excuse my limited knowledge.

My main worry is that maybe something is wrong internally and by vibrating my bike is trying to tell me something is wrong and that I wonít be able to fix it before itís too late and I need an engine rebuild.

I have read in other threads that out of adjustment valves can cause this or out of sync throttle bodies, some have said change the spark plugs and wires, clean the injectors and tps. If anyone can rule out any of these before I just start throwing a ton of money fixing things that arenít broken I would appreciate it a ton!

Thanks to everyone chiming In so far.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Also another potential fix for motor vibration was shimming motor mounts. It was on a Harley though.

Update***

I started her up today and tried to listen at idle and I heard a slight ticking noise coming from the rear cylinder towards the top of it on the right hand side of the bike. I did not hear this when I listened closely to the front cylinder. Almost like valves making noise? I'm not certain what it is that I'm hearing. Does anyone know what this is? I have a feeling it is the source of my troubles.

Last edited by Bornforbattle72; 08-04-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Update
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

when is the last time the bike had a valve adjustment? your bike may not have another scheduled one until 32K miles (if it has kept regularly scheduled maintenance), but it sounds like you should go ahead and get it now. that could be causing both the ticking and extra vibration. you may have found it.
lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode