Yamaha V-star 650 starting problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By blueblitz09
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yamaha V-star 650 starting problem

So i am new to motorcycles and dont know a whole ton about them. I bought a 2000 Yamaha V-star 650 classic and have discovered a problem with how it starts. It doesn't have a problem running at all, its just when its off for a while, sometimes as little as 20 minutes, i have to crank the starter for a long time before the engine will start up. The guy that sold me the bike told me that i have to turn off the pepcock everytime i turn off the bike. When i do, it makes it a little easier to start the bike but not always. Im just not sure where to start into fixing it. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Garage
Assuming you are choking it correctly, I would start with the battery. You have to have over 12 volts from your battery for the starter to actually start the bike. Anything less, the starter just spins. Hook some jumper cables to it, from a good battery, and see if it starts any easier. If that works, you need a new battery. If that doesn't work, it could be a myriad of other things. Spark plugs, carburetor may need to be cleaned, or may have a vacuum leak. I would put about 4 ounces of Seafoam per tankfull of gas for the next couple of fill-ups, sure wont hurt anything. Seafoam is like magic in a bottle for fuel systems. When I bought my wife her 650 this past March, a new battery fixed what sounds like this same problem.
KCW likes this.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 03:18 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. You will get better exposure for suggestions if you post in the Vstar forum. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM
KCW

Garage
try turning off the petcock before you stop the engine - let the float bowls drain down a bit.

If the float bowls are sticking open and flooding the engine they should also be overflowing gas on the engine case, on the right side, between the cylinders, right onto the top of the engine case.

Ditto the SeaFoam recommendation: Walmart auto fluids shelf, about $10 for a pint.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM

It sounds to me like your petcock and float valves are leaking a little and flooding the bowls and intake. What are your starting procedures with a cold motor and when fully warmed?
KCW likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 AM
KCW

Garage
^ a couple people are questioning how you are starting the bike.

When its over-night cold and its below 50F outside pull the choke out all the way - when its 70F pull it out maybe 1/3rd to halfway - if its hot outside (80F in the morning..) you may not need to use the choke at all, esp if the bike has been sitting in the sunlight.

When the bike has been run recently you do not use the choke at all. That could be as much as 4 hours of sitting on a hot day.

Also when you start the bike, with the choke in the morning, or without the choke when the motor is hot, dont give it any throttle while you crank it. Once it fires you can give the throttle a burp after you let go of the starter button.

If you open the throttle while you are trying to start it, the mixture is wrong for the speed the motor is cranking over, and it will just flood.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:43 AM

I agree with KCW on all above points except one... if you hold the throttle open while cranking the starter this will actually help clear a flooded motor and give the wrong impression that the motor is starving for fuel which is not the case and only applies with pumper carbs which the 650 does not have. Either way if your carbs are properly dialed in you should never need to touch the throttle during start up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode