New to this forum - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

New to this forum

In years past, before the Star line was a distinct Yamaha line, I was very active on the delphiforums.com Road Star Riders forum. At the time, I was riding a '99 RS. After being turned on to sport touring by a BMW-riding friend, I bought an '07 FJR and gave my RS to a nephew. I missed my RS and purchased a new '09 RS Silverado S. I spent a lot of time and money making it mine - a Reckless batwing fairing, lots of chrome bits, etc., etc.. Unfortunately, the new RS was joining a stable that also included an '03 Honda Valkyrie and '01 Yamaha Venture along with the FJR, to which was added a few years later, a '14 BMW K1600 GTL, for which my Venture was traded-in. The RS has been a garage queen for a number of years. I'll be retiring in a few years and will be downsizing to a condo and have been divesting myself of various bikes. I've recently sold the FJR and Valkyrie and, now, the '09 RS is having to go. I discovered this forum and intend to post my RS in the classifieds here. Here is a link to pics of my '09 RS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHiHNco8Q9JAJ1ti6 . Details on the bike will be included in my classified post once I'm permitted to post there. I'd appreciate any recommendations from members of this forum as to any other forums where my posting might attract some eyes (obviously, I've posted it on the delphiforums.com Road Star Riders forum) as I'm sure there are other forums like this one that I was unaware of.
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mfreelnd; 08-20-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you are divesting so many great bikes, but I guess what must be done must be done. I can’t help you with any other places for advertising an RS unfortunately, as I live in the EU myself.

I’ve actually been looking to extend my stable with a few more bikes, like the Valkyrie, the Venture, Roadstar, Wildstar, and Dragstar, but currently the one bike I have is really the only one I can afford .

Anyway, looks like you will be keeping your BMW, which in itself is not a bad choice at all, although personally I will stick with Yamaha .

Success with your sales, and stay well!

Kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimg View Post
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you are divesting so many great bikes, but I guess what must be done must be done. I can’t help you with any other places for advertising an RS unfortunately, as I live in the EU myself.

I’ve actually been looking to extend my stable with a few more bikes, like the Valkyrie, the Venture, Roadstar, Wildstar, and Dragstar, but currently the one bike I have is really the only one I can afford .

Anyway, looks like you will be keeping your BMW, which in itself is not a bad choice at all, although personally I will stick with Yamaha .

Success with your sales, and stay well!

Kind regards, Wim
Wim,
Thanks for empathizing w/ my predicament. It has been hard for me to sell any one of my bikes. Even if I wasn't riding them, I enjoyed looking at them. The bike that was hardest for me to sell was the '03 Valkyrie. I bought it as a Standard and made it into a Tourer. I have always loved the flat 6 engine but didn't want to join the Gold Wing "club." Even though I'm an "old man" now, I refuse to admit it and never wanted to ride an "old man's bike" - which is how I've always viewed the GW. Although the new, slimmed down GW is more attractive to me, I still feel younger on my K1600 GTL and like that I can remove the bags and trunk for a sleeker/sportier look. The K1600 is also a bit more unique (not a lot of them on the road compared to the GW). The uniqueness of the Valkyrie plus the flat 6 with it's low center of gravity made it my favorite. It was also the bike my wife enjoyed riding on the most. However, I won't miss the lack of creature comforts or the 6 carburetors. I believe it will come to be viewed as a "classic." 2003 was the last year they were made. Check out these pics of my Valkyrie and feel my pain: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4KRH9V4hmUXHsWXb9
Mike

Last edited by mfreelnd; 08-21-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

remember to post on https://www.cycletrader.com/

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, ca.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreelnd View Post
Wim,
Thanks for empathizing w/ my predicament. It has been hard for me to sell any one of my bikes. Even if I wasn't riding them, I enjoyed looking at them. The bike that was hardest for me to sell was the '03 Valkyrie. I bought it as a Standard and made it into a Tourer. I have always loved the flat 6 engine but didn't want to join the Gold Wing "club." Even though I'm an "old man" now, I refuse to admit it and never wanted to ride an "old man's bike" - which is how I've always viewed the GW. Although the new, slimmed down GW is more attractive to me, I still feel younger on my K1600 GTL and like that I can remove the bags and trunk for a sleeker/sportier look. The K1600 is also a bit more unique (not a lot of them on the road compared to the GW). The uniqueness of the Valkyrie plus the flat 6 with it's low center of gravity made it my favorite. It was also the bike my wife enjoyed riding on the most. However, I won't miss the lack of creature comforts or the 6 carburetors. I believe it will come to be viewed as a "classic." 2003 was the last year they were made. Check out these pics of my Valkyrie and feel my pain: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4KRH9V4hmUXHsWXb9
Mike
Very nice indeed! Every so often there is one for sale at one of my local motor dealers. I just love seeing them. They certainly have that special je ne sais quoi as they say so nicely in French. It is also quite clear that those who own or owned them saw them as special too. They all look like they were treated very well, and made to look better, like yours . And I do feel your pain. I expect to feel something similar, when I have to say goodbye to my current ride, my XV1900A Midnight Star, see here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...john-back.html, but I do expect it will become too heavy for me in a couple of years time.

Over here the Valkyrie is already seen as a classic, BTW.

Kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimg View Post
Very nice indeed! Every so often there is one for sale at one of my local motor dealers. I just love seeing them. They certainly have that special je ne sais quoi as they say so nicely in French. It is also quite clear that those who own or owned them saw them as special too. They all look like they were treated very well, and made to look better, like yours . And I do feel your pain. I expect to feel something similar, when I have to say goodbye to my current ride, my XV1900A Midnight Star, see here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...john-back.html, but I do expect it will become too heavy for me in a couple of years time.

Over here the Valkyrie is already seen as a classic, BTW.

Kind regards, Wim
Wim,
You can drop the mic now! I bow down to you. My additions of bolt-ons don't hold a candle to your mods. That is one unique and beautiful bike!!
Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thank you kindly, Mike!

It is mostly add-ons and bolt-ons too, actually, even though some were made first for my bike (suspension parts) . There are really only 3 items which are not available straight from a 3rd party supplier right now, namely tank, risers and rear protection guard (all made locally), although for some of the bolt-ons there is an extended waiting time, as they are made on demand only.

Kind regards, Wim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode