Back to the Fold - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By Mortimerr
  • 1 Post By ChiefGunner
  • 1 Post By wimg
  • 1 Post By Yamaha Pat
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By fd757
  • 1 Post By NorthernRider
  • 1 Post By Elk
  • 1 Post By NGM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Back to the Fold

Guess this is a required action prior to posting other threads, so "Howdy!".

Title explanation --> My first touring bike was a first gen Venture. Just prior to moving to Idaho, I traded it off (limited riding weather in Idaho, right?) and as soon as I got settled in Idaho, immediately regretted it. After a brief spell on an old Voyager, I traded up to a second gen Venture. After 9 years and 70K miles, I was lured away by a 2008 Goldwing (it had navigation and NO cassette deck).

This year I saw that a 2018 re-designed Venture had been released, but wasn't enthusiastic about belt drive and twin cylinders after having owned water cooled 4 and 6 cylinder bikes all my life (heat). Then the new Goldwing came out. I made the mistake of looking at one in person. Then riding one. While I could regurgitate all of the plus's and minus's of the new wing, my decision that the bike was not for me boiled down to one thing - my legs are too short to comfortably ride it.

But... The new bike bug had bitten me - HARD. I looked at all the touring bikes available, and test rode some of the locally available bikes, however there wasn't a Venture nearby. I finally rode about 100 miles away to see one in person. That of course lead to a test ride. And THAT lead to a new bike. So - I have owned a first, second and now own a third generation Venture.

I look forward to viewing the comments in these forums, and maybe even occasionally posting one of my own.
Keith Post and Elk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerr View Post

Title explanation --> My first touring bike was a first gen Venture. Just prior to moving to Idaho, I traded it off (limited riding weather in Idaho, right?) and as soon as I got settled in Idaho, immediately regretted it. After a brief spell on an old Voyager, I traded up to a second gen Venture. After 9 years and 70K miles, I was lured away by a 2008 Goldwing (it had navigation and NO cassette deck).

This year I saw that a 2018 re-designed Venture had been released, but wasn't enthusiastic about belt drive and twin cylinders after having owned water cooled 4 and 6 cylinder bikes all my life (heat). Then the new Goldwing came out. I made the mistake of looking at one in person. Then riding one. While I could regurgitate all of the plus's and minus's of the new wing, my decision that the bike was not for me boiled down to one thing - my legs are too short to comfortably ride it.

But... The new bike bug had bitten me - HARD. I looked at all the touring bikes available, and test rode some of the locally available bikes, however there wasn't a Venture nearby. I finally rode about 100 miles away to see one in person. That of course lead to a test ride. And THAT lead to a new bike. So - I have owned a first, second and now own a third generation Venture.

I look forward to viewing the comments in these forums, and maybe even occasionally posting one of my own.
Welcome to the fold froma fellow SVTC owner in North Carolina.
Please post pics of your bike! We’re pretty big on that here.
ALSO, us SVTC Owners have a “tradition” of naming our bikes. Something for you to contemplate.
Look forward to hearing your experiences. We have a number of threads discussing different items we’ve all encountered so that should help you with some questions you may have.
Again, WELCOME!
Keith Post likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerr View Post

Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands, Mortimerr, and congratulations with the new bike. Excellent choice too!

As Chiefgunner mentions, please do post some pics, we'd love to see your new ride!

Kind regards, Wim
Keith Post likes this.

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:32 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. We have a great following of Venture owners who has kept us informed on the benefits of the tourer. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Welcome from Southern Oregon, born and raised in Blackfoot. Nice to see some Idaho blood around the forum. Congarats on the bike too. Idaho has fine weather, Cold, cool,warm and blazing hot. Then there is the wind... But glad to see a Pocatello person on here. A great site indeed. Not INL site, but site.
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Those new Ventures sure seem to be attracting a lot of attention. Congrats on the new ride!
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. I second the notion about seeing your new ride. Lots of excitement about the new Venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Elk

Welcome from Colorado !
Keith Post likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome from Sunny N Florida from another new SVTC owner.
Keith Post likes this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode