Greetings from the Thumb! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Greetings from the Thumb!

Hey all!

Been lurking on the forum awhile now... figured I'd finally say hello. Bought an '07 1300 for myself as a birthday present back in August. Really enjoying the new ride. Been trying to sort out what mods are already on the bike. Think I may have them all figured out, finally.

Done so far:
  • Monster Pro 2 into 1
  • O2 delete
  • Hypercharger
  • Dual Airhorn upgrade
  • RSTD bars

To Do:
  • Power Commander
  • Speedo Relocation
  • 16" Apehangers
  • Ignition Relocation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:10 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Beautiful ride you got there!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, NorthernRider. This bike was love at first sight when I got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:34 PM
KCW

Garage
great looking bike.

That 1300 engine has some life to it when you get on the throttle.

The one thing you should look into is the hypercharger. Ive seen people say its difficult to adjust the mapping or to jet carbs for a hypercharger, because the ram air effect into the front changes its airflow with speed. Maybe is easier to map with fuel injection.

If you think the bike is running a bit rough, esp at slower speeds, that would be the thing to look check out. You might be able to simply close the ram air port and have it act like a regular air intake pod.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
great looking bike.

That 1300 engine has some life to it when you get on the throttle.

The one thing you should look into is the hypercharger. Ive seen people say its difficult to adjust the mapping or to jet carbs for a hypercharger, because the ram air effect into the front changes its airflow with speed. Maybe is easier to map with fuel injection.

If you think the bike is running a bit rough, esp at slower speeds, that would be the thing to look check out. You might be able to simply close the ram air port and have it act like a regular air intake pod.
I spoke to a mechanic at a nearby shop today, and he was saying if I want to keep the hypercharger (was debating keep it or just go with a big air kit from ss custom), the best bet for mapping would probably be a trip to the dyno after adding something like a power commander. But honestly, aside from a little bit of slight surging at near idle speed when pulling out of my driveway, I think it feels like it's running like a top. One reason I want to keep it though, if I'm totally honest, is the hopes of finding a hypercharger infinity streamliner kit used on the cheap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	82414  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:28 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 AM
KCW

Garage
Surging out of your driveway when the engine is cold could just be you need to adjust the choke a little better (if your bike has one) or let it warm up a bit more while you check your lights and adjust your mirrors.

Having a bike run somewhat rough at low engine rpms does not sound like a big deal, but the thing that will get you: when taking corners and curves there is a balance between the turn angle, lean, and your speed. If the engine is surging on a curve or corner you will not be able to hold your line thru the turn.

Worse case Ive had, I pushed the choke all the way in too soon on a cold morning. Taking off from a stop sign into a right turn the engine dropped out halfway around the corner, which made the bike dive for the curb. I avoided the curb and learned to push the choke all the way in about a 1/2 mile down the road.

You can compensate for an engine that wont idle right by coasting thru turns and taking it easy on curves, but that takes away half the joy of riding a motorcycle.
Keith Post and Mfwright79 like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Great looking bike and weíre glad you joined us! Ride safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mfwright79 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Surging out of your driveway when the engine is cold could just be you need to adjust the choke a little better (if your bike has one) or let it warm up a bit more while you check your lights and adjust your mirrors.

Having a bike run somewhat rough at low engine rpms does not sound like a big deal, but the thing that will get you: when taking corners and curves there is a balance between the turn angle, lean, and your speed. If the engine is surging on a curve or corner you will not be able to hold your line thru the turn.

Worse case Ive had, I pushed the choke all the way in too soon on a cold morning. Taking off from a stop sign into a right turn the engine dropped out halfway around the corner, which made the bike dive for the curb. I avoided the curb and learned to push the choke all the way in about a 1/2 mile down the road.

You can compensate for an engine that wont idle right by coasting thru turns and taking it easy on curves, but that takes away half the joy of riding a motorcycle.

No choke as itís FI, but the slight drop and surge only seems to be when Iím slightly above idle. I live in a trailer park with lots of kids running around. So I donít tend to turn the throttle when Iím first pulling out more than a few mm. Once I get to the street though, she purrs with any kind of throttle applied. I know that thereís a few small adjustments to make to it soon, since, to quote a big name tv show, ďWinter is comingĒ. Iím hoping that I can get the power commander and mapping done during the non-riding season. Maybe it will help with the chug-a-lug at the slightly above idle, but Iím not sure. I did read elsewhere on these forums about other VS1300 owners having similar issues, and having a tune by Ivan sounds like it fixed it.

Just out of curiosity, how tall are the bars on your Royal? They look pretty comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode