new guy from Fresno cCa maybe - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By joeincalif
  • 1 Post By NorthernRider
  • 1 Post By joeincalif
  • 1 Post By Yamaha Pat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Location: I now live in Fresno Ca. I lived in So Cal all my life until now
new guy from Fresno cCa maybe

I'm going to look at an 05 V Star 100 classic with under 6000 miles on it. I know about old tires but since I have owned Honda's and Kawasaki's in the past and tghis might be my first Yamaha what are some of the common problems or things I should look at when I see the bike?
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I tried to post a question about a hook up for my GPS but it said I didn't have permission to post. Sol what do I have to do before I cam post a question on the forum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, Joe. You need to post in the introduction forum first. It sometimes takes a bit of time for it to activate.

I have an 1100 and they are very dependable and pretty much bulletproof. Earlier versions (pre 04, I believe) had issues with the starter clutch, but that shouldn't be an issue with an 05. The voltage regulator/rectifier can go and will cook your battery (I learned this the hard way). I'm told one from an 05 RoadStar will plug in and is much more heavy duty. The only other issue that happened to a few bikes is the nut backing off on the output shaft and the driveshaft coming off. That's easily fixed with Loctite or by buggering up the threads so the nut can't back off. This may have been addressed on newer models as well but I'm not sure. Personally, I feel better for securing mine.

Those are the only things I know of. It's not really anything you can tell by looking at the bike, but like any used bike you can usually tell if its been maintained properly. These bikes rated at the top of the motorcycle reliability report (someone posted a link somewhere on here but I don't have it). The 1100s were made for 11 years with basically only cosmetic changes (and the starter clutch upgrade), so you know they got it right right out of the gate. Change the oil every 3000 to 5000, do the regular maintenance, and you'll see over 100,000 basically trouble free miles.

Edit: I just reread your post and saw the mileage. Make sure you look in the fuel tank for signs of rust if it's been sitting for a while.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags

Last edited by NorthernRider; 11-08-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. For first time owners of an 1100 here is a must read.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list

I will second everything NortherRider stated with a big explation mark. 1100s are great bikes for having fun. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome, the bike I will be looking at on Sunday only has under 6,000 miles and I don't ride much anymore so I should have many trouble free miles ahead of me. Before my wife's back injury in 2001 we rode all the time. Actually we rods Honda Gold Wings for many years. we have rode in every state except Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota. I still love to get out and clear my head and tale a 70 or 80 mile ride for coffee. Well I usede to do that where I lived before but now that I moved I have to find roads all over again.
lesblank likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Garage
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. If you get the new to you bike, be sure to post some pics of it. We love there. Before I bought my 950, I rode a 650. I never had any major issues with it and got great mileage. Since it was carbed and FI I ran nothing but ethanol free gas in it and always kept it garaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:13 AM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode