New Guy from Snow Hill NC with a 03 XVS1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

New Guy from Snow Hill NC with a 03 XVS1100

Just bought a as is 03 V Star 1100 Silverado for $1000.00 Mostly for my wife but as a 2nd bike for me I guess...
Got the title changed over yesterday, waiting for a new battery, Got a local Indy going to install some new Dunlop 404 and tubes on for me... Bike hasn't run in a while, I predict I will at least have to take the float bowls off and clean that... Tried to get the mileage off of the bike yesterday but the battery is dead, I mean dead... Tried the charger just to get that to come on and it would not ... Will connect the new battery this evening...
Decent looking bike, came with driver backrest... Just needs a little TLC and Elbow Grease...
I come from The Harley side but I have owned many Metrics as well...I think this will be a solid bike when I get it going...
Keith Post and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 AM
KCW

Garage
Before you crank it over look inside the gas tank. One of the good things about 10% ethanol gas is it starts turning brown pretty quickly (within months) if it was not stabilized before the bike was stored. So you can just look at it with a flash light and see if its gone bad.

If the gas in not clear drain it out and flush the fuel lines. Also if the tank is empty look for rust.

The most common problem with carb'd bikes that were parked for a long time is someone starts them up with the old gas, thinking running it just a little bit wont make it any worse, and sucks the jello and goo from the bottom of the tank into the carbs. Then you need to take them apart and clean every port and passage.

If you drain the old fuel out of the tank and fuel lines, and put Seafoam or another carb cleaner in with the fresh gas, you can at least start the bike up and see how it runs, and you wont make it any worse. Sometimes thats all you need, and after running a full tank with Seafoam the bike will run fine.

The most important thing to watch out for if you do this: when you turn the key on and energize the fuel pump (these carb'd bikes do have a fuel pump) check the overflow tube to make sure you dont have a float stuck open overflowing the carb.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 12-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I will look that over...I haven't messed with an older bike In a long time... I ordered myself a service manual so I can familiarize myself with this metric...It can't be that difficult... I have torn into my Harley several times over the last 11 years and 100000 miles...
It's just a machine... 1 thing for sure is I will take my time and do it right this time...
Thanks on the tank tip though... I will clean that sucker out... I need some seafoam...
Keith Post likes this.

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Here is a few pictures of the bike, The one with Solo seat was staged but the other with the 2 up seat was a picture as it sat last summer in her garage....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	83008   Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	83010  
Keith Post likes this.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Nice looking bike and the 1100 is a good, reliable ride. You're both gonna like it a lot.

If you're new to the 1100 one important thing: NEVER give it any throttle when starting. It can kick back and eventually destroy the starter clutch (parts alone are $500). And twisting the throttle when it's not running won't do anything to help start it anyway.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Nice looking bike and the 1100 is a good, reliable ride. You're both gonna like it a lot.

If you're new to the 1100 one important thing: NEVER give it any throttle when starting. It can kick back and eventually destroy the starter clutch (parts alone are $500). And twisting the throttle when it's not running won't do anything to help start it anyway.
Small world.. I grew up In Robertville NB, Just outside of Bathurst... Been in North Carolina for 30 years now... I was just there in August ...What part are you in?

Thanks for the tip, I read that somewhere... I guess the pump winds up when you turn the key on or something like that , it cycles???
Keith Post likes this.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:54 AM
KCW

Garage
did you order the factory service manual for the 1100?

the factory manuals for most Vstar bikes have been scanned and are on several websites as a free PDF download. On some of them the table of contents and the jumps to the right pages dont work, so you end up scrolling thru the whole manual to find the page you want. Also some of them are scanned poorly and things like the schematic diagrams can be hard to read.

The free service manuals are better than nothing, but the original ones that you buy are easier to use. Also the free ones are not out for every model year, and there are some changes in the bikes for a few model years.

If you dont have the owners manual for your bike you can get that as a free PDF download right from Yamaha motorsports website.
Keith Post likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I want like a Clymer manual, I like to have a hard copy to have in the shop so I can write notes in there... $25 ain't too much of a strain...
I will get a free owners manual online though...
Keith Post and KCW like this.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
Small world.. I grew up In Robertville NB, Just outside of Bathurst... Been in North Carolina for 30 years now... I was just there in August ...What part are you in?

Thanks for the tip, I read that somewhere... I guess the pump winds up when you turn the key on or something like that , it cycles???
I'm in Riverview. I've been through NC many times in my longhaul days and it's one of my favorite states to visit.

Yeah, you can hear the fuel pump start when you turn the key on. Runs for a few seconds. I wait for it to stop before I hit the starter.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags

Last edited by NorthernRider; 12-12-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
I'm in Riverview. I've been through NC many times in my longhaul days and it's one of my favorite states to visit.

Yeah, you can hear the fuel pump start when you turn the key on. Runs for a few seconds. I wait for it to stop before I hit the starter.
I rode my bike up to Bathurst a few years ago and went to Moncton to see my brother, ended up riding around Riverview on roads I had never been on with a friend of mine... Stopped at the HD dealership for a obligatory t shirt and then on through some beautiful area around there...
Keith Post and NorthernRider like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode