Thanks for the welcomes and the links! So I bought this bike sight unseen (unwise - won't be doing that again), and though it looked decent in the pictures, it actually had some pretty big problems. It has 2k miles on it. Here it is right after I picked it up:
Turned out the frame was quite bent near the kickstand, there was a hole in the bottom of the crankcase, a hole in the generator cover, a couple large dents in the fuel tank from the handlebars (because the stop had sheared off), various bent things, and quite a bit of scratches on most of the chrome.
I tried all sorts of things to straighten the frame (hammers, jacks, etc), but the tube just collapsed instead of bending back. So I cut out the damaged section, got inner sleeves, salvaged the bushings, and had a friend weld them back together. After quite a bit of grinding it turned out ok.
Here's the before:
Here it is welded up and cleaned a bit:
And after painting:
Here's the original sheared handlebar stop (just behind the shattered headlight):
I cut a tab out of stock, cut the old one off, and had my friend weld it. I cleaned it up, and painted it, and it seems to be functional again. Amazingly, the rest of the forks, tripletree and surrounding parts seem to be straight, and was able to get the wheel aligned.
Here's the tank just off the bike:
I used a bent metal rod to pop out what I could from the inside with some heat (tank filled w water), then used a really cheesy dent removal kit (the type with glue tabs). It took a ton of hot gluing, but eventually I was able to got most of it out. Next plan is to do a bit of bondo smoothing, then paint. Maybe next week.
Here's the bottom of the engine right after filling the holes (can't find the before picture of the hole, but it wasn't huge). I used high temp metal filler (the jb weld epoxy putty), made sure to get it really clean, and pushed it in. The top spot wasn't a hole, just some gouges. Not proud of this fix, but can't really afford a new crankcase. I was going to completely disassemble the thing and get it fixed right, but my welding friend advised me against it due to the metal type. I'm sure glad I didn't try that, because I can't imagine the engine going back together smoothly for me. I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on it, and hopefully it doesn't leak over time.
Prepping my novice paint booth:
Here's the engine after paint:
Same procedure with the generator cover, though I was able to epoxy both sides, add high temp silicone sealer to the inside, and I haven't figured out how to fix the damaged chrome on the outside. I think this hole was caused by the shifter pedal and footrest. You can see in the picture that it's bent way too close. New parts are on the way for those.
A couple weeks ago I started reassembly. Was not feeling very good about finding where all the bolts came from at this point. I took it apart a year and a half ago and got distracted with other life things. I relied on the Yamaha exploded diagrams and the shop manual pretty heavily. I sure wish I would have taken more pictures when I was taking things apart, or at least had better organization with the bolts.
Here's where I'm at currently:
I have a long ways to go but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic. A couple wires have me pretty stumped, so I might reach out for help on those if I don't get it shortly. Unfortunately, it won't be a 'pretty' bike any time soon because of all the scuffing, but hopefully it will be ride-able and safe.
Thanks for looking!