just bought v star 650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

just bought v star 650

the thing is abused, but the price was right...200.00. tank is dented, handlebar slightly bent, tires worn etc...just started to take it apart yesterday. I really do not have experience, but not a complete noob with mech. skills. probably will be asking for advice if I can't find info in a search. I always wanted a bobber, so this is my chance. It does run good for a bike with 54,000. I bought it as a learning project so I guess I'll see how I do. Better on this bike than something more expensive.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

drawing a blank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Any pics you’d like to share with us? We love pics here and it sounds like a great project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 AM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post and starmeister like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 AM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here so you came to the right place. Sounds like a great deal for a project bike. The 650 (like all VStars) is a very solid and reliable bike. The engines are pretty much bullet proof as long as basic maintenance has been done, so you have a good starting platform. And 54,000 is nothing - plenty of miles left in her.

I'm with Keith - how about some before and then some after pics once you get it up and running again?
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 AM
KCW

Garage
Good deal, if the engine is good you really made out at $200 for a running 650.

before you tear things apart too far do yourself a favor, google the V star 650 factory service manual. You can download it free in a scanned pdf format. When you take things apart like the wheels or remove the engine, read thru the procedure in the manual first. Dont start just unbolting things, you will take things apart that you shouldnt.

There are some things to be aware of. For example: the engine in your bike spins backwards, opposite the direction of the front wheel. When you set the valve adjustment make sure you are turning the engine over the right way. Cam chains with tensioners do not like being spun backwards. Nearly all motorcycle engines spin in the same direction as the front wheel, so vstar bikes are unusual this way.

Another important thing: when you take off engine side covers, to change the oil filter for example, some of the bolts are longer that others. Make a drawing and measure the bolts - if you put a long bolt where there is suppose to be a short one, it will hit something inside the engine and do unbelievable damage when you try to start it up.

Also: if you dont have a torque wrench, go get one FIRST before you bolt anything together. Steel bolts into aluminum will strip out the threads before you know what happened. Always use the torque wrench on every bolt and nut on the bike. You can get a 3/8" drive torque wrench from harbor freight for $20, so... no excuses. Get a better one if you can afford it.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-14-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the tips. I have the manual on my PC now. bought some metric wrenches at harbor today. could not take out oil plug with socket..nut from sidestand in the way. will try to post a pic now...already removed the tank, seat and rear fender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_162227.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	83204  
Keith Post and KCW like this.

drawing a blank
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Garage
Nice. I see it has the pod kit installed. That's probably the easiest mod to get more hp from a VStar. A tip on tools - there are a lot of allen head bolts on these bikes. I picked up an allen head socket set and it's made working on mine a lot easier than with regular allen keys.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Sounds like a fun project. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
starmeister likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM
KCW

Garage
Having those air filters under the tank really changes the look of the bike.

Those plastic fake cylinder head covers have no function. If you take them off you will be able to check and adjust the exhaust valves without taking anything off the bike to get to the tappet covers. To get to the intake tappet covers you will still have to pull the carbs.

The only other cover I can think of that is purely cosmetic is the one over the front of the drive shaft to the rear wheel.

Looks like an aftermarket exhaust.

It looks pretty good for $200 bike :^)
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-14-2019 at 07:06 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

"It looks pretty good for $200 bike :^)"

The closer you get the worse it looks, the picture makes it look a lot better. Pictures don't work that well on me though no matter what the distance...
Keith Post likes this.

drawing a blank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode