Ga Mountains - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Ga Mountains

Hey all. Cool forum. 2005 650 Classic...sideways photo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_122139.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	83298  

Last edited by lesblank; 02-03-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Fixed sideways picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Glad you joined us. Been through GA many times and it's a beautiful area. Nice looking 650. Pic's not important as long as it's not sideways on the road.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Glad you joined us. Been through GA many times and it's a beautiful area. Nice looking 650. Pic's not important as long as it's not sideways on the road.

Thanks...well said!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Fixed your picture. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 AM
KCW

Garage
How long have you been riding the 650?

Ever take the windshield off? Makes a big difference on how the 650 rides and feels.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
How long have you been riding the 650?

Ever take the windshield off? Makes a big difference on how the 650 rides and feels.

Funny you should say that. I bought this bike from the "old" guy that lives down the road. It sat in a barn for 13 years. Guess the Wiffey owned the 650 and the Hubby owned an 1100. Seems hubby dropped the 1100 and got hurt. It sat for years then they finally decided to sell it. So I scooped this up for $2500. with 2100 miles. The old windshield was a little scratched up so I replaced it with a new recurved tinted. The recurve really redirects the windflow about four inches higher than stock. (I just listed it in the classified ads here). I'm selling it because I sit to low in the bike for it to work well for me. When I take this one off to sell it, I am going to run it without the windshield to see the difference.

I've put about 1800 miles on it, mostly mountain roads. I ride with the American Legion Riders here in North GA.

Hey Thanks for fixing the pic!!!

Last edited by spetro; 02-03-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 AM
KCW

Garage
that is a great price for a mechanically "new" bike and engine

after sitting for 13 years what did you have to do to the fuel/carbs to get it running? was the tank full of goop, was the tank rusted?

It had the original tires I take it? The treads would look new but the rubber would be dried out and skid very easily on curves and stops. Did you replace the tires, or are you going to take it easy for a while and ride them down (which wont take long on old tires) ?

It looks like the factory loaded up Silverado version: windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest... or that might be an after market pair of seats - very nice.

The one other thing I would encourage: get a bottle of Dot4 brake fluid and flush out the front brake line and cylinders. Its really easy to do (as long as you dont let the master cylinder suck air while you are flushing it thru, then its really a pain). The $4 you pay for the new brake fluid will pay for itself to get rid the bit of water that is absorbed by 10 year old brake fluid.

If you need help with the brake flushing, let us know - quick version is you stand the bike up on blocks so the reseviour is level, take the cover off, suck the old fluid out of the bowl with a turkey baster, fill it up with new fluid, and then bleed the new fluid thru the caliper bleeder valve till it runs clear, keeping the res full as you bleed it down. Now that I think about it, that is all there is to it.

I keep the windshields off both my bikes, unless I riding on the interstate, or riding below 50F.

Having the wind in your face is one of the best things about riding a motorcycle... up to about 60mph.

On my 1300 I dont feel much difference in the throttle, but the 650 is considerably more responsive with the WS off the bike. And in the summer, I just bake with it on the bike.

Last edited by KCW; 02-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
that is a great price for a mechanically "new" bike and engine

after sitting for 13 years what did you have to do to the fuel/carbs to get it running? was the tank full of goop, was the tank rusted?

It had the original tires I take it? The treads would look new but the rubber would be dried out and skid very easily on curves and stops. Did you replace the tires, or are you going to take it easy for a while and ride them down (which wont take long on old tires) ?

It looks like the factory loaded up Silverado version: windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest... or that might be an after market pair of seats - very nice.

The one other thing I would encourage: get a bottle of Dot4 brake fluid and flush out the front brake line and cylinders. Its really easy to do (as long as you dont let the master cylinder suck air while you are flushing it thru, then its really a pain). The $4 you pay for the new brake fluid will pay for itself to get rid the bit of water that is absorbed by 10 year old brake fluid.

If you need help with the brake flushing, let us know - quick version is you stand the bike up on blocks so the reseviour is level, take the cover off, suck the old fluid out of the bowl with a turkey baster, fill it up with new fluid, and then bleed the new fluid thru the caliper bleeder valve till it runs clear, keeping the res full as you bleed it down. Now that I think about it, that is all there is to it.

I keep the windshields off both my bikes, unless I riding on the interstate, or riding below 50F.

Having the wind in your face is one of the best things about riding a motorcycle... up to about 60mph.

On my 1300 I dont feel much difference in the throttle, but the 650 is considerably more responsive with the WS off the bike. And in the summer, I just bake with it on the bike.
I like your thinking. First thing after test driving was to bring it into my Yami dealer (Blue Ridge, GA). New tires ALL fluids drained. The "old" guy I described is a retired mechanic for Lockheed. Thankfully he cleaned the carbs out prior to selling it. She runs great. Everything you see in the pic is stock except for the windshield (which we talked about) and the tail light bulb. I pulled for a strobe. I'm having an issue with that. Worked OK when I first put it in, but now its acting weird. Going to check the ground run a wire to the ground side to verify. If that fixes it I'll keep it, if not....back to the good ol' 1157
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Garage
I stuck with 1157 bulb and installed an online interrupter. Brake light flashes 7 times then goes on solid

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
Inline*

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode