Rectifier Issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Rectifier Issues

Hello Everyone!
Newbie here from Providence, Rhode Island. How you doin?
Signed up here hoping to establish new friends (Anyone local or close to me?) and possibly find a solution to my issue as well.
I have a 2002 XVS 1100 Custom which I bought brand new. It currently has about 13000 miles. About 4.5 yrs ago it wasn't charging and a shop put in a stator. Then about 16 months ago the symptoms of just shutting off began ( It would always start right back up tho' ) preceded by a sort of click like a circuit breaker noise. Testing pointed to a bad rectifier and so that was changed. Went a few months of light riding and then it wouldn't start, battery totally dead. Put new battery to get it to a shop. Again the rectifier was blown. Replaced that again and was fine for about 600 miles. Went to start it, the battery was fried , literally wavy. It sits now in a shop where I can use tools, etc. I got it there and revved to about 3500RPM volts climbing past 17. So once again a fried rectifier. We are gonna test the stator in a few days. If no problem with stator, what else can it be? I need to get this fixed so I can use it without breaking down or paying extensive yamaha dealer fees. Thanks in advance and have a bad ass day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P071615_1659.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	83458  
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...harging-system you've sure had a problem with the rectifier,read this , its what info there is thats available. i sure there are plenty of forum members that can answer questions about the charging system.
Keith Post and DragonRI like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. The introduction section is for introducing yourself. Posting your issue in the Vstar section will get better exposure and responses. Quick question, did you use OEM replacement parts or aftermarket? Unfortunately aftermarket parts have a reputation of premature failure. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 02-26-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 AM

Garage
There is a heavy duty oem rectifier on the market...I put one on my bike and haven't had any problem since. Also drill some air holes in the bottom of the cover that the rectifier is behind to keep it cool. All the info should be in the link that was already posted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi, when they changed the stator, I have no idea what they used (OEM or not). The rectifiers have been after market. I am told that an OEM stator , even on ebay, will be close to 600 USD and an OEM Rectifier close to 160 USD and that is without tax applied. It might be time to scrap the bike then considering that the book value even with the upgrades is only 400 USD.
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:38 AM
KCW

Garage
A running Vstar 650, 1100, Royal Star, Road star.. with less than 15k miles, with good tires sells for about $2000 to $3500

that bike will easily run 100,000 miles on the odo without touching the enginef

your bike would sell for $400 in about 5 minutes.
Keith Post and DragonRI like this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-27-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:25 AM

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...e7798cc547c2a7 this is the regulator you should use its off a 2005 roadstar heavy duty. it plugs right in but you have to drop the exhaust
Keith Post and NorthernRider like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A comparison with Edmonds, Nada & Kelly BB show the bike to be worth only 400. no matter what. The key is the region which plays a part in valuation. 5 minutes it will sell for 400. ??? I tried to sell it once for 1000. when it was 5 years old and had about 3700 miles on it. (A whole year and it never sold). I pay property taxes each year on it, this year they taxed it on 400., last year they taxed on 550.00. It is only valuable to a person who likes the bike and plans to keep it for awhile.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by DragonRI; 02-27-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeach66 View Post
There is a heavy duty oem rectifier on the market...I put one on my bike and haven't had any problem since. Also drill some air holes in the bottom of the cover that the rectifier is behind to keep it cool. All the info should be in the link that was already posted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
If I find the stator is good, then no more aftermarket rectifiers. I will follow the advice from here and put one heavy duty from a roadstar (brand new of course!) So far, 3 rectifiers the original and 2 aftermarket...
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode