New Member - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Keith Post
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By TALahr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I've never been on one of these forums before but my husband bought me a new motorcycle and I thought one of these forms would be a great place to get the word out that I'm trying to sell my V Star. I would appreciate any advice on how I could do that.

Thanks for the help,
Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Hi Teresa, I don't think too many bikes are sold through this web site but there is a classified section. That would be: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/41-sale/

But I would recommend the usual methods with CraigsList. Checking the town you mention as your location, there are quite a few bikes for sale in your area. Between KBB and looking at similar bikes already on CraigsList, you should be able to get a good idea of what you should ask for the bike. If CraigsList is somewhat new to you, there are some strong suggestions:
1) When someone comes to view your bike, have others with you.
2) List it "cash only" as there are scams where people attempt to text you or email you suggesting they'll send you a check for an amount over the asking price and it's a bad check, even though it's a very legitimate looking cashiers check.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/d/motor..._distance=13.5

There are other resources also, we have auto-trader and some motorcycle centric selling magazines but it usually costs money to list where CraigsList is free.

Good luck and enjoy the new bike.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:57 PM
KCW

Garage
It will be easier to sell your bike, and you will get more for it, if you keep the plates and insurance on it, so people can ride it.

Most people will not buy a motorcycle if they cannot take it for a 5 to 10 mile ride and check it out, make sure the engine is not knocking, the brakes are not dragging, the shocks are not blown out...

Make sure any riders have a valid motorcycle license. Dont just ask, make them show it to you and make sure its not expired.

If you have comprehensive coverage, fire and theft on the bike, if someone drops it on a test ride, or steals it, you are covered.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:00 PM

Garage
Hi Teresa, we’re not really a forum for selling or advertising bikes, we’re about the fellowship of riding together and sharing our love for riding. As previously mentioned we do have a classified section. You got some great advice on using places like Craigslist, etc.
Good luck on your sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive used craigs list on both sides of transactions: one thing - dont put your phone number in the listing in the phone number/contact section. Put it in the text and spell it out, and spell some of the numbers wrong, like 7 Oh 5, three for won ate....

otherwise you will get a stream of bot generated text and phone calls from scammers.
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the info. We'll start working on what has been suggested. As for condition, other than a few dings from standing tip overs, the bike has been well maintained by my husband. He's an aircraft mechanic and his attention to detail drives me crazy. I keep telling him things he's working on don' have to be perfect, he keeps telling me he knows that but, they have to be right. Anyway. I'll get to working on a flyer and maybe I can get this thing sold.

Thanks again,
T'
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode